1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mille Fleur D'Uccle chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ameliadanielle, Mar 4, 2016.

1. ameliadanielle

ameliadanielle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    This is what they looked like a little over a week ago when we first got them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what they look like now. I tried to get a good picture of what the feathers growing out on the wings looked like, and the chick was not having it. So they're very awkward photos. Lol.

I was hoping they would be cochins, got 6 of them from the bantam bin at TSC. Then when I got home I couldn't really find a picture of a cochin chick that looked like that. I've been told they could be Mille Fleur D'Uccles. If that's the case we will probably need to rehome them. My chickens free range in our fenced in backyard and from what I've read D'Uccles would be able to easily fly right over my 6ft fence.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They look a lot more like Cochins than D'Uccle to me. They don't seem to have muffs.

1 person likes this.
  3. ameliadanielle

Feb 18, 2015
    I'm crossing my fingers they turn out to be cochins. We'll be keeping them until they get closer to being grown up so we can tell what they are. I was really hoping for gold laced cochins but I think my chicks are too light colored for that. They also resembled buff brahma chicks but I can't tell about the comb. I thought they had single combs but it's still hard to tell for me. I'm not used to inspecting combs until they're really big enough to just see without moving the fluff back.

4. ameliadanielle

Feb 18, 2015
    Our silkie is also hatching out chicks right now. Her nest included some of the brown eggs from the mixed layer flock and also some silkie eggs from our little silkie group. So once they all hatch my husband and I are going to have to play "Who's the Mom." Lol. It took us forever to figure out the three chicks parents we hatched from the backyard in November.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I'm not sure if they're Cochins or d'Uccles--can't tell by the pictures. Do they have a beard and muffs?

6. ameliadanielle

Feb 18, 2015
    I don't think they have beards or muffs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one without the flash.
    [​IMG]

7. ameliadanielle

Feb 18, 2015
    Could that be a pea comb? Buff Brahma maybe? I thought when I first got them they had single combs, they looked about the same as my black and white cochin chicks. But now that the combs have gotten bigger I can clearly tell the cochin chicks have a single comb. These? Not so much. I can find tons of comb examples online, on adults. So I still don't quite know what kind of combs these guys have.

8. ameliadanielle

Feb 18, 2015
    These are the combs on my black and white cochin chicks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ameliadanielle

Feb 18, 2015
    Also starting to think my black cochin chicks may be barred cochins as well. Their wing feathers are growing in with barring.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If there is a white spot on the back of their heads, then yes, they are barred.

Those look like pea combs. You've got Brahmas.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by