Mille Fleur D'uccle ...Roo or Pullet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SuperChiks, May 20, 2011.

1. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm very new to the chicken world. This is one of my favorite new chicks. It will be three weeks old on Sunday. Can you tell if its a Roo or Pullet? I'm thinking Roo. Had NO plans on keeping any Roosters however, if this on is I'm pretty sure he will be staying cause he is a sweet as can be. The Porcelain I"m holding for someone has absolutely no sign of any comb. Here is the picture of mine. Hope I did this right. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Looks like a roo to me...

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Yeah, if already showing comb this early....COULD be roo! But don't get rid of the little one yet.....wait and see......

4. SuperChiks

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I think I'm going to keep him - cause he is too sweet. Hopefully he won't be too loud. My issue is that I have two silkies and will have no idea about them for a while - so if they are Roos ...someone will have to move [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have learned to be careful with d'uccles. I had one that I thought was a roo, and turned out to be a hen!

They are so tiny, easy to squeeze just one more bird in the coop, lol!

6. SuperChiks

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:yeah I agree - they are so darn cute and sweet and grow up to be really pretty.

7. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I'd say Roo. I ordered a Duccle Roo from MPC, he's almost 6 weeks now, but his comb was like that at 3 weeks. That's assuming they sexed him right at the hatchery [​IMG]

8. SuperChiks

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    These little ones were straight runs. Thats the only down side to that. However I think it gives the Roosters at least a chance at life. I cringe to think of what happens to all the roosters at the hatcheries. [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Sorry, he's a boy. Maybe he won't crow or crow very infrequently. I have a Mille Fleur as well that is 3.5 weeks old. The comb on mine is small and yellow, I lucked out. All Mille Fleurs are straight run. Your Millie has much more color then mine too.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I think you should keep the porcelain and give the mille fleur to the one your holding for.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by