1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MILLE FLEUR d'UCCLE wing patterns -- *now with pics*!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenguysmom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

We got 4 straight run chicks from McMurray on Monday. There are two that have alot more brown on their little wings than the other two which def. have a bar or lacing with more black. Can you tell if it is a roo or pullet by the color of the wing or do I have to wait until it's older? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. chickenguysmom

Bump! Should I post photos? They are 1 week old today and the feather patterns are easier to see.

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Yes please post pictures.. I got mine from McMurray also and I want to see if any of mine might be MILLE FLEUR d'UCCLE'S my Hubby sure hopes so thats his fav breed [​IMG] I just got the rare asstortment breeds so I dont know what I have they are 15 days old today i will post pics when i get back home from work........

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I have never heard of being able to sex mille fleurs when they are little. Most if not all bantams are to little to sex as chicks. I can only hope you don't have a ornery roo like our Little Angus lol! The cockerels will probably be evident soon, more so than a standard cockerel. The roos are quite beautiful though and the hens are equally as beautiful. I have noticed in mille fleurs that sometimes the hens will get more white speckles as they age. I love mille fleurs and they are one of my faves!

5. chickenguysmom

Here are the two patterns I was talking about. One pattern has mostly brown with a little bit of black and those two have very small combs starting. They are also slightly bigger. The other two have a brown/black mix with some sort of barring or lacing. They are smaller and have a little bit bigger comb showing. If anyone has experience to say that one set is female and the other set male (hopefully not all 4 are roos). To me the more brown ones act more like roosters but look more like hens. I was hoping that there is at least one girl in the bunch.

Mostly brown with some black Chick #1
    [​IMG]

Chick #1 again
    [​IMG]

Comb of Chick #1
    [​IMG]

Brown w/ Black Lacing Chick #2
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 again
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 Comb
    [​IMG]

6. chickenguysmom

I guess I may not be using the right terms: using lacing because I don't know what lacing and penciling look like. I assume lace looks like lace and penciling means ???? something else.

Maybe this is normal to have a wide variety of patterns. I was just wondering if the girls feather out to be more plain and the fellas more "ornate". But I am confused because the more ornate patterned ones are smaller but they do have the larger combs. AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHH!

Can anyone give me a hug?
    I wish I knew more.

7. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    [​IMG] What are you wanting to know?

8. chickenguysmom

Boys or girls? [​IMG]

9. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Oh Honey those are much to young to tell give it a few weeks and you will see the little red combs starting to show [​IMG]

10. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    This is what my d'Uccle which I believe to be Millie Fleur in color looked like when I brought it home from TSC

[​IMG]

And this is what it looks like now

[​IMG]

And very sweet.

How that helps!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by