Mille Fleur d'Uccle

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CDennis, Dec 21, 2009.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    My Mille Fleur d'Uccle passed away and he is survived by his mate. I have decided to get her a friend but these two were my only experience w/ banty's. He had the most wonderful little personality, something I don't see in my full grown hens. Was he just special? Are ALL banty's full of personality? Or just the Mille Fleur d'Uccle? Any input would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks!

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    So sorry for your loss. I hope you find a wonderful new mate for the one you have left.

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

It depends on the individual birds, but bantams tend to have great personalities! The d'Uccles tend to be really sweet, the OEGBs tend to be curious and spunky and like people, Japanese bantams can be a little skittish, bantam cochins are mellow and sweet... I've found most bantams, if raised around people and handled a fair amount, end up fairly tame, though. Bantams are wonderful!

4. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    CDennis, I don't know if you've received enough info to feel like you've gotten the help you were looking for. I've got d'Uccles and my experience with them is that each one is truly an individual, particularly the hens. I think for the most part I've seen them tend to be one way or the other; they are either sweet and relatively easy to tame or they can be flighty and nervous. I've even got two hens that are little hellions. They are beautiful, but I'm not going to breed from them; actually I think they're going for a permanent visit someplace else this spring. I don't know how old your guy was when you lost him, but if it was before he reached sexual maturity that would account for his very sweet disposition. In my experience, most of the roos after they reach sexual maturity, they get pretty protective of their girls. They do love their hens and will not tolerate ANYTHING that is perceived as a threat or something that could come between them and her, and that usually includes you. Now I must admit I've never had one that I hatched from an egg and raised to that point, they all came to me with a couple of months on them at least. I don't know if it would be different if I raised him. I'm inclined to say no. I actually think it might make him worse since he wouldn't be the least bit intimidated by me. They are bantams, so if you wear heavier, long pants and shoes, they don't hurt anything; but it is annoying. Once in a while they can catch you just right and whop you with their wings and it stings, after they get older you need to keep a look out for their spurs. All of that said, this is true of most roos when you start messin' with their girls. They don't like it! [​IMG] I they plan to let you know it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by