Mille Fleur has stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by caroline96, Feb 13, 2013.

1. caroline96

caroline96 New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Hi my Mille Fleur started laying eggs around christmas time, and was a steady layer ( producing 4-5 eggs a week). A couple of weeks ago she stopped laying completely. She is only 6.5 months old, so I don't believe it is from old age. She is eating and drinking like usual, and I have looked her over for any potential diseases/ medical conditions. Does anyone have ideas as to why she has stopped laying.

I have 4 other hens who are all laying: 1 barred rock, 1 easter egger, 1 golden cuckoo maran, and 1 blue silkie bantam. The silkie and the Mille fleur are often picked on by the 3 standard sized hens (especially by the barred rock). The barred rock will chase down the bantams, hold them down and peck on their heads repeatedly. She never draws blood, and stops after a couple pecks on the head. I dont think she wants to kill them, she's just a bully. The silkie just started laying 3 days ago, i am hoping this will encourage the mille fleur.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Caroline
    [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's a lovely little pullet!
    I think her not laying may be due to stress, from being picked on and bullied. What you can do is separate the BR for a few days and reintroduce her later. This will shake up the pecking order and hopefully help the pullet settle into a stronger position in the flock.

I've put together a list of the more common causes of hens not laying that you can look at as well:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-behaviours-and-egg-laying-why-are-my-hens-not-laying

Good luck!

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Good luck Caroline

4. caroline96

caroline96 New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Thank you so much!