Mille Fleur in the Woods

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlips1954, Aug 14, 2010.

1. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I'd been missing my little Mille Fleur, Tidbit, for two days and figured that an owl or hawk had gotten her, since I let my chickens free range during the day. A day later I saw her eating in the area with the other chickens, but then she wandered off in another direction. I was curious as to where she was going, so I followed her and discovered her sitting on a huge clutch of her banty eggs, sheltered beneath a huge pine tree. She had so many eggs that she couldn't even cover all of them with her body and wings. Bless her little heart! I brought out the top half of my dog carrier and placed it over her for protection from hawks, owls and the weather. There was plenty of extra room in it, so I also brought her food and water so she wouldn't have to wander off again and leave her nest unprotected. I have no idea if the eggs are fertile (although I have two roos and some of her eggs hatched earlier this year) or if they are, when they are due to hatch. I'll just check on her daily, so it'll be fun. I'll keep you posted :)

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am wishing you and your little girl the best.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Me too, hoping she will be alright, and hatch out some cute little babies! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd bring Tidbit home and confine her to the large dog carrier. The huge pine may protect her from owls and hawks but, it won't protect her from 4 legged predators. Then you could candle eggs and disgard any bad ones. I don't know about you but, I would sleep better knowing she was back home.

5. chickenlips1954

Jul 16, 2008
    I peeked at Tidbits nest while she was off for a few minutes today and she has 12 of her own banty eggs and one full size green Ameracauna. I appreciate your suggestion of candling her eggs and putting her in a dog carrier for her safety and I will do that tomorrow. I would hate for anything to happen to her...she is such a funny little character!

6. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    if it was me, I wouldn't move her. Usually when you move a broody hen, it really upsets her and she will not continue setting. Thats just my .02 though- Ive never been able to move one (unless it was after dark and she was asleep).
    Currently, I have one AWOL hen who is hiding a clutch somewhere in the weeds by our barn. Im just going to let her do her thing and hope for the best- guessing in about 2 weeks she will return with her little brood [​IMG]

7. chickenlips1954

Jul 16, 2008
    I candled Tidbits eggs last night and it looked like they were developing! Little did I know how much until I heard a little "peep" this morning and saw two holes in one of the banty eggs. I checked back a few hours later and there was a tiny banty chick under Tidbit! Now I'm hoping that more will hatch late tonight and tomorrow...I'm so excited!!!

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Uh. . . pictures being worth a thousand words, and all that. . .

9. eleanorkay

eleanorkay Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Big Rapids, MI
    That's so exciting!! I just love my little Mille Fleur, too. Would love for her to have chicks ( but I need for her to start laying first!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by