Mille Fleurs - do feather patterns change as chicks become adult?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zoomom, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you should be able to see the Mille Fleur feather pattern in 4-6 week old chicks? Or does it develop as they get adult feathers?
    I have a feeling my Belgian D'Uccle chicks that are supposed to be Mille Fleur are very "pet quality" in feather patterning, as they are mostly brown with black on the tails and around the neck, only a few white spots and don't have all 3 colours on most feathers at this stage. I don't mind, as they are just pets and future egg layers, but I am curious, as maybe one day I would like to get some show quality birds and would like to know what to look for.
    Thanks for any help.
    Zoomom [​IMG]

2. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    This is what I mean by their colour is not what I would consider Mille Fleur from the adult pics I've seen. Unfortunately, their parents were killed by a coy-dog so I was unable to view them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    YES

With Each moult they will get whiter and whiter. as they grow older from the young age you may also see the black pattern emerge to more what it is supose to look like.
    As the feathers are replaced you will notice that they will get the white on the tips of the tails. So if they start out with a lot of white they the will be washed out and almost totally white later on in life.

4. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! That is good to know. I will have to take lots of progression pictures then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by