Mille Fluer Genetics Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If I started with a Black Mottled bird crossed with a Buff, what would be the result and which direction would I need to go to get the light buff Mille Fluer, not the Mohagany based Mille like Speckled Sussex?

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Your cross will give all Black chicks, these mated together will give a large variation in colours. Some will be poorly marked light Buff Mille Fleurs, you could be lucky but statistically you would need to hatch about 16000 chicks to guarantee it.
    David

3. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks, That's about what I figured, should I use any of my speckled Sussex in the mix also, or will that end up with birds looking like the SS? I don't need two breeds the same color.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:What you want to cross the speckled sussex with is a buff columbian: this will produce F1 that are not mottled.

Then back cross the lightest colored F1 offspring to a speckled sussex producing BC1 that are mottled ( about 1/2 of the birds).

From the BC1 pick the mottled birds that are the lightest color and cross them together producing the another F1 offspring group; from this F1 group one in four should not have mahogany and be mottled.

Tim

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks, but I don't have or plan to get Buff Columbian birds nor do I know where to get any other than Buff Brahmas.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    much easier if you can get a MF roo. All you need is one nice colored roo and some mottleds and you have all the genes you need to get up and running. That is how I started out. Not what I was planning, but that was all I hatched. You will spend WAY more time, effort and money working with just mottled and buffs. Just advertise in the wanted section for a decent MF roo and someone near you will sooner or later have one. Put it in your sig line too. Or buy some shipped eggs. Maybe someone will trade with you if you are saving your $$ right now for santa or something... Everyone is right now, lol.

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well I'm actually wanting to make a LF breed with type similar to Rocks. I quess It would take just as long or quicker if I used maybe a Mille Fluer cochin bantam roo on Mottled Java hens. I don't have the javas yet either but I plan to get them next. Thanks for the info and I'll start asking aroud and get a price on the Cochins.

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Feel like a drive [​IMG]

This guy and some of his brothers [​IMG] need a good home.

[​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have mottled javas, and only one is laying right now, and the roos are not old enough yet. Want me to cross you some eggs?

10. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks onthespot, I sent you a PM.

Do you all know what I would get from the MF cochin X Mottled Java cross, would they be feather footed? How long would it take to breed the feathered feet out of them? Would they need to be crossed back to Javas or Sussex?

Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by