1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mille fluer hen sneezing with one foamy eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tobytobes, Nov 28, 2014.

1. tobytobes

tobytobes Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have a mille fluer hen that I have had for about a year and a half. I have always heard her sneeze a little bit but she acts perfectly fine eating and acting normal. I thought maybe just allergies.
    Recently she has been sneezing a little bit more and now has a bubbly eye that is sometimes crusted shut. She is still acting normal eating, vocalizing and scratching and pecking around. None of my other birds are affected and like I said I have had her for a year and a half. Any ideas what it may be and what I can do for her?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. tobytobes

Sep 3, 2010
    I would really love some advice. I've been looking at other similar posts like mine from previous threads but the difference is that all of those chickens seem to be a recent occurrence of sneezing and foamy eye. Mine has been doing it for over a year and my other chickens aren't affected. I'm sure that it's something chronic but I wanted to know if there's something that I can do to relieve the symptoms. Please somebody chime in. [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sneezing and foam in the eye can be a symptom of mycoplasma (MG or CRD,) a chronic respiratory disease. I would use some Vetericyn Eye Gel, Terramycin Ointment, or plain Triple Antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. Since none of the others have been affected, it could be something she is sensitive or allergic to in the coop. Make sure that you have good ventilation over head, but no direct drafts, and keep dust and ammonia levels low. Antibiotics such as Tylan and tetracycline drugs can be used to treat symptoms of MG. Here is a link about respiratory diseases including MG: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. tobytobes

Sep 3, 2010
    Thanks so much for your reply. I was thinking that it may be CRD or MG. They are in a horse stall in my barn so very well ventilated and no drafts. I bring them in for the winter because it's so cold in their coop. I have tried Tylan 50 in the water for about a week. It didn't seem to make much difference. I bought some Denagard to put in the water. Says it's to treat CRD so I'm going to give it a try. I will try the eye ointment too. Luckily I have a local vet that will see chickens so I may take her there to see if maybe we could flush her nostrils. Thanks again for the reply. I really appreciate it ! [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can look up "Tylan nasal flush " here on BYC and get instructions on how to give it. You need sterile water as well as the Tylan, and to instill it in the bird's nostrils while holding it's head down. I believe it is 12 ml of sterile water plus 2 ml of Tylan 50 for the mixture, but I have not used it before, so I would look it up first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by