1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mille Flur Comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Silkie's Grandma, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

I was thinking this Mille Flur / Silkie cross is a Roo. Last month I saw my Roo on this bird for a second & wasn't sure it wasn't a fight. Now...the Bird is setting on eggs. My question is about the comb on the Mille Flur - this bird sure seems to have a large (Silkie style) comb - but is apparently a hen.. any body have Mille Flur's with a comb like this. (NONE of my silkie hens show any sort of combs)

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    That's a pullet.

The silkie's walnut comb is dominate over the d'uccle's single comb. Since d'uccle hens do get combs, it's natural that crosses with them would show some sort of comb in their daughters.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Click on the link in my signature if you want even more specific genetic information. I have some charts on my comb genetics page that will explain it in nerdy detail. [​IMG]

Basically, a single comb is the result of recessive genes for pea comb and rose comb (pp, rr), and a walnut comb has both dominant and recessive genes for pea comb and rose comb in play. Comb genetics is extremely interesting stuff.

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Something to add, and I know it may be knit-picking, but your bird is a cross of a d'uccle and a silkie. It is probably a millie fleur d'uccle. Millie Fleur is a color/pattern/variety. Just trying to help.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thats a cute pullet. Cute cross!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by