Millefleur and Lavendar silkie project Advice please

tingle

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Merseyside
Hi I would love to start a project with my silkies and have tried to think what I could attempt that hasnt already been done in UK.Could I try lavendar pekin to black silkie for 1st cross would the genetics of lav/blk work the same as it does for orpingtons.Also millefleur duccles sprang to mind with gold/buff silkies does anyone know the genetics of millefleur (in laymans terms please lol) Thanks a bunch!

Hey, Sonoran Silkies can help you, she is the Genetics Goddesss! Hope she sees your thread.
tongue.png

Also millefleur duccles sprang to mind with gold/buff silkies does anyone know the genetics of millefleur (in laymans terms please lol)

I don't know whether this is layman's terms but broadly speaking mille fleur is mottling on a red base (which includes columbian).

The best outcross would probably be red silkie to mille fleur pekin bantam, if you can find one. Failing that, red silkie to mottled pekin bantam. (That's one of the ways I used to make my blue jubilee Orpingtons).
wink.png

I know that in silkiespeak porcelain is just isabel with more lavender, but it would be fun to have a real lavender mille fleur Silkie! I'm new to breeding, and I've never read anyone's reccommending using a Duccle to introduce a color. Any reason this would be less desirable than a Cochin/ Pekin?

Quote:
I don't know whether this is layman's terms but broadly speaking mille fleur is mottling on a red base (which includes columbian).

The best outcross would probably be red silkie to mille fleur pekin bantam, if you can find one. Failing that, red silkie to mottled pekin bantam. (That's one of the ways I used to make my blue jubilee Orpingtons).
wink.png

Would the silkies come with spots (not mottling) like the d'uccles?
wink.png
I would love some silkies that had that pattern.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you have a pic of isabel as Vs porcelian. I am new at this and I would love to see a comparison because I am greatly interested in porcelian.

Would the silkies come with spots (not mottling) like the d'uccles? I would love some silkies that had that pattern.

One can make mottling come out like mille fleur but not from a first cross. (Unless, perchance, the bird used for the cross, just happens to be carrying just the right recessive genes).
wink.png

Mille fleur & mottling are caused by the same gene (or possibly set of genes because mottling can behave slightly differently under certain circumstances; there may be more than one allele or maybe mottling expresses differently in the presence of other genes).

Presuming all birds used to have all of the expected genes for their colour, thus making the project predictable......If one crosses a mille fleur with say a red, one would expect to see all red offspring in the first cross. If one crosses a black mottled (not carrying silver), with a red, presuming the red to carry a gene called dark brown columbian (Db) one would probably expect to to get all melanised orange/red columbian or maybe black with orange/red breast in both male & female.​

I know that in silkiespeak porcelain is just isabel with more lavender,

The colour called porcelain in silkies would, presumably be easier to come to than proper isobel as it looks like the isobel before the diluted black (showing as lavender) has been selected against.

but it would be fun to have a real lavender mille fleur Silkie!

A project for you.
big_smile.png
I'd have thought that to make proper porcelain (lavender mille fleur) silkies the mille fleurs would need to be done first.
wink.png

I'm new to breeding, and I've never read anyone's reccommending using a Duccle to introduce a color. Any reason this would be less desirable than a Cochin/ Pekin?

A agree pekins would probably be closer to type. However, at least in US, the mille fleur bantam cochins are still projects themselves & probably in order to nick the correct genes, the millie D'Uccle might be a better choice.

I gather, with silkies, getting rid of red in combs is quite a task. But I suppose the up side is that no-one would be able to tell if patterns aren't as good as they could be, because they hardly show on silkie feathering.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom