Millefleurs and Legbars?...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TehLizardKing, Dec 21, 2012.

1. TehLizardKing

TehLizardKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    So, I recently aquired three Lemon Millefleur cocks (which are absolutey beautiful by the way) and was wondering this:

I have three Cream Crested Legbar hens, Gwhenevere (pun intended), Peanut, and Dolly the hawk slayer. They are getting along fine in the wide world, but I thought they would like it if they had a boy around. I have found a Cream Crested Legbar cock, and I'm going to pick him up next weekend, but... what about the millefleurs? I got them because they are my favourite breed, and I saw them on offer...how will they cope with the larger Legbar? [​IMG]

They are in seperate coop/run things, but I am going to let them free-range over two acres eventually. Basically, will the smaller cocks fight the big one? and also, will the millefleurs fight each other on account of the introduction of females?

Any advice would be helpful [​IMG].

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes they will fight more when you introduce the hens, they will have something to fight over. Size doesn't deter the smaller roosters so much. You may have an over abundance of roosters to the number of hens you have. If I read you sig right and the silkies are hens you will have 13 hens to 4 rooster, a 3 to1 ratio. That may or may not work, which is something you'll have to watch.

3. TehLizardKing

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    Ok, well thanks...just so I know, rougly how many chickens would they need each to not 'murder' each other?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The number can vary. Most feel that a 10 hen to 1 rooster is about right. If they are raised together they can live together with lower numbers. If there is enough room for them to avoid each other the numbers can be lower. Then there is the bachelor flocks that has no hens and gets along. Which is why I said you would have to watch them, The situation has an effect on the numbers.

5. TehLizardKing

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    Ok, thanks for the advice...I gues we will need a few more chooks then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by