Millet! Millet! Whos got the Millet?????

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by mommystayshome, Sep 8, 2011.

1. mommystayshome

mommystayshome Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    Just wondering where can I find millet? My feed store doesnt carry any. Is there an alternative?? I think someone said parakeet food or somethin alon gthose lines? I want my girls and guys to start getting treats!!

2. Txcat

Txcat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Hawley
    Millet can be found in scratch, most OTC bird feeds. It is always mixed with other seeds. Which guigea and chickens usually like. LOL Here my chickens leave most of the millet, hoping the guinea's will like it! Cause they always go to sprouting THEN the chickens keep em mowed. The patch I have growing I pull some leaves and give them to my 5wk old guinea and pullets, they love them! I think next spring I'll let a bunch sprout for all my fowl.

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    If your Guineas are at least 8 weeks old then Tractor Supply Company stores always have wild bird seed mixes that are fairly decent priced, (and if you are lucky ON SALE!)... they are usually mixed seeds (mostly millet), but be sure to red the ingredients label, because the mixes that contain sunflower seeds can choke the younger keets.

Most bird seed blends specifically labeled for Cockatiels are fine for Guineas/keets also, they toi contain a lot of millet.

4. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    I must have strange guineas because they do not like white millet. For treats they prefer the scratch feed a buy for the chickens, thawed frozen corn, shredded lettuce and cherry tomatoes. Go figure! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by