Millet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bantimna, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Is Millet okay to feed your chickens?

2. cat_named_noodles

cat_named_noodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    Wimberley, TX
    I was wondering the same. We feed the wild birds millet sprays, and a certain younger brother of mine gave our chicks one the other day, which they loved.. They seem to be fine (pooping, acting normal and all)..

3. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    I bought a bag of millet, sunflower seed wild bird mix and they inhaled it. I kept some and planted it this year and waited for it to head out then cut and fed it to them. No leftovers so I will grow it every year.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    They love sunflower seeds, but beware. Squirrels do too. My pen is electrified so I am planting lots of sunflowers in it next year. They love raw pumpkins and squash, seeds and all, but pumpkin and zuchinni take so darned much room to plant and grow.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    . . . and, wild finches love millet. They are good indicators of when you've got to harvest the crop. Wait about 5 days too long - and the millet is long gone [​IMG].

Foxtail millet is used for the sprays you can buy for caged birds. I grow some of it each year in the garden. [​IMG] It's an easy crop.
    The chickens seem to like it but there's competition even out on the lawn with the sparrows . . . [​IMG] . . .

Steve

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Millet sprays from the pet store were one of my chickens favorite treats when they were babies. I learned to strip the seed "pod" off the stalk though after I had one little piggie chick attempt to swallow it.

7. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I cook the millet, makes a nice warm breakfast and the flock goes crazy for it [​IMG]

8. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    my chickens love millet,sunflower seeds,wild bird seed, but only problem is their starting 2 prefer the seed to the chick food,so going to cut back on chick feed for a while as not sure they get all the benefits they need from the seed,

9. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    sorry meant to saycut back on seed not chick feed
    Quote:

10. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by