Millet

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TarheelBirdy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do I get some?

My feed stores don't have the finished product.

Where do you get yours? I want to give my Guineas treats!!

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Try a health food store or co-op.

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Cheap bird food usually has a big percentage.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:I usually just buy whatever wild bird seed mix is on sale at Tractor Supply and they seem to be just as happy with that, (I usually try to get whatever contains a good % of millet, and it's ON SALE, lol).

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Parakeet seed is mostly white millet. Walmart even the grocery store carries boxes and two lb bags of it. My feed store carries 50 lb bags of white millet for around 20 bucks.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I got mine at my feed store for $17/50 lbs. The stuff with lots of millet at TSC was like a dollar a pound.

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If you get them eating hen scratch, it will be like crack to them! They come running from every direction when they see me head to the barn because they know they are getting scratch. It's much cheaper than millet.

8. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:I guess I have snooty Guineas, cuz they won't touch scratch [​IMG] Even the Turkey turns up his beak to it, lol. If I try to be sneaky and mix some in with their layer or game bird pellets and fill their feeders I have to dump them out every couple days, nothin' but scratch left... but at least the goats will hoover it up, lol.

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I guess I have snooty Guineas, cuz they won't touch scratch [​IMG] Even the Turkey turns up his beak to it, lol. If I try to be sneaky and mix some in with their layer or game bird pellets and fill their feeders I have to dump them out every couple days, nothin' but scratch left... but at least the goats will hoover it up, lol.

Well you did say your turkey thought it was a Guinea... LOL [​IMG] Love them Goaties.... I got four. Little Reprobates.... OMG Scratch is like Goat Crak.

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX

My turkeys and guineas will just about attack me to get to scratch! The turkeys fight to see who can eat it the fastest out of my hand! You have some of those yuppie cali birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by