1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Millie my wee sebright wheezing and tired-help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mackie n chicks, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    My wee sebright chicken, Millie woke up and is very tired, she is wheezing a little, I took her to the vet and they gave her antibiotics and told me to put some chest medicine in her water to drink but I've not seen her drink yet and she just wants to sleep. Is there anything I can do - I lost one of my beloved chickens last year of a similar thing so i'm clearly panicking but I think rightly so. I'm hoping the antibiotics will soon kick in and she'll eat and drink but is there anything else anyone can think of?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have had a respiratory disease in the flock once, you may see it pop up from time to time since most birds become carriers after exposure. Sick birds, especially bantams, can benefit from being inside out of the cold, since they tend to chill when sick. Also feed some scrambled egg for extra protein, and a little yogurt or buttermilk for probiotics.

3. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    Hi Thanks for the advise - this morning I noticed that her crop has not gone down-could the vet have misdiagnosed and could it be bound crop/impacted crop? its not a sneeze as much as a nasty cough-she could be trying to choke up whatever she's ate-I have caught her eating straw before and removed it from her but obviously not with her all the time! Is there anything I could try - i'm giving her yakultz with is a micro-biotic. I will get her some yoghurt as soon as possible.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by