Millies - Sad...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k9lin, Apr 29, 2008.

1. k9lin

k9lin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Last Thursday, I bought from my feed store (who got their chicks from a reputable hatchery), 1 Millie, 1 Barred Rock and 1 Cochin. All were doing great, temperature was good. On Friday afternoon, the one Millie died (was fine 2 hours earlier - eating and drinking).

I went back to the feedstore and bought two more Millies. One died suddenly on Saturday night, and the last died last night. They were peeping, active, eating and drinking. They were getting along with all the other chicks. They are in a bathroom with the door closed. The other two chcks are thriving. My friend also bought 2 Millies last Thursday with me, and hers are doing fine.

The only strange thing - I could see on the paper towel on the bottom of the brooder, was very dark, almost black liquidy stools. I know their digestive systems are figuring themselves out, with day/week old chicks. But with my previous chicks, I never noticed the blackish liquidy stool.

I know things just happen, but 3 of them? Any ideas? Thanks.

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

They have some stools like that, but I forget what it's called. They are not frequent, but they do have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by