Millions Against Monsanto Campaign-Updated - FDA bands non-GMO labels

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
First here is what I got my info to write my congressman and how I feel about labeling food with GMO produce in it.

http://capwiz.com/grassrootsnetroots/issues/alert/?alertid=15178631

If I don't want it, I should have the option not to have it... no one TELLS me its good for me. I don't believe it, and they can't prove it is. So without more testing and substantial care to getting real information out... I don't agree with it.

So I sent a 'semi-generic' message they had available on the site, I did add my own wording and concerns, which were not addressed in the generic response from his assistant or whomever in the office.

Anyways here's his quoted response:

"Dear Mrs. Fogl:

Thank you for writing me to express your concern about the use of Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) crops in our food supply. It was good to hear from you, and I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me.

As you may know, our country is the largest producer of plants and foodstuffs using biotechnology. With it, farmers grow stronger, healthier, and higher yielding crops – crops that can resist disease, drought, and pests. However, I understand that some Americans, like yourself, worry about the safety of genetically modified products and seek the labeling of such products.

Our examination of this issue must be based on sound scientific principles and study. Technologies such as genetic engineering in plant science have been demonstrated and practiced for hundreds of years through plant breeding. The relatively recent use of GMO technologies which add or remove genetic material to accelerate the process is substantially similar to long-tested breeding processes. As a farmer, former member of the House Agriculture Committee, and a father and grandfather, I share your desire to have the healthiest foods available for the American table, but I also have faith in the products grown and produced by the American farmer. You can be sure that I will keep your thoughts in mind should I have the opportunity to vote on legislation regarding GMOs in the 111th Congress.

I am working with my colleagues in Congress and the Administration to respond to the challenges that face our nation. Together, we will build a stronger economy, find common sense solutions to our energy needs, make sure every child gets a quality education, and expand access to health care for all Americans. It is an honor to represent you in Congress, and I welcome your continued input.

Sincerely,

Bob Etheridge
Member of Congress'

I decided to write back, though I am sure I will get no response. It sickens me as I believe he is probably lining his pockets with the rest of the congressman Monsanto now owns.

"Dear Congressman Sir,

I am very disappointed in your response as I don't see things your way, and you can't expect me to change my views from a short generic response like that. I do not believe there is anything natural or ok with GMO plants. I believe these high levels of resistance to bugs are unnatural and they won't allow resistance forever. Things adapt to the situation, they grow MORE resistance, they, in nature, mutate. I believe these high yields of product are hurting the farmer because you are saying, its ok that as a 'superpower' of food in the world, we should produce more so people pay less. Now farmers are working and spending more to grow more each year, to break even. These are not rich well paid people, obviously you left agriculture to do something better for the communities... but I don't think that is happening. You left the community behind.

With no diversity in food, without actually paying for quality, Monsanto, McDonald's, Burger King, coca-cola, Walmart and all these great companies will continue to grow unobstructed by laws and codes. Though the potential for growth is great in the country, it is becoming limited in whom is allowed to grow. The American people are growing by leaps and "Pounds" though. Cheap food and genetically modified crops are not the solution. It just makes MORE for LESS. Cheap food is making for expensive healthcare. Now it appears, the only winners are the 1% who are lining their pockets with profits from others' suffering.

With that said, all I ask if you are kind enough to label products for those of us who care. Because I care, because my friends and family care... I took the time to write you.

I would appreciate it, if you had any 'scientific proof' as you stated would sway your decision that you would send me copy. I kinda like to know someone who wants my vote is taking the time to share what he 'knows' with the people, and not what he 'thinks'. I know what I think, and I am YET to find another but opinions from everywhere and not one lick of 'proof' in writing.

Still Concerned,

Mrs. Shannon Fogl"

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

I'm reading a book called "meet your meat" just opens your eyes.... IDK but I think all it will take is a virus to bring down the food supply.

I'm just waiting for the avian flu to hit again because of bad transport or something and someone trying to come take my birds!
sad.png

I am so tired of people trying to fix the END result without back tracking to where the problem started and change it there... shows that out system is full of 'insane' people! I'm tired of it! If something doesn't work from the beginning, its BROKEN... it doesn't need a 'tweek' all the time.

We should really have the choice of what we eat. I do not like the thought of eating GMO food, especially after reading about what it is doing to animals being fed it.

What a weird world we live in.

What I thought was strange was the comment about 'scientific proof' when no serious testing is being down outside of Monsanto? If you are going to chose to use words with people, do not assume they are unintelligent. Those words should have actual meaning.

thumbsup.gif

Well done. I'd have prolly said something along the lines of...

-----------------

I honestly don't know enough (does anyone) about GMO to make a sound decision about whether it is healthy or not. That said, I would prefer to avoid it until I DO have enough facts to make a sound decision. In order to have that choice items with/without GMO must be labeled. Those that want them can have them any time. Those that do not are not forced to. And those that don't care either way, so long as the price is right, can go on with their philosophy.

Labeling gives EVERYONE the choice. It gives every consumer, aka voter, control over what enters their body.

I don't think wanting control over what I eat is asking too much.

I hope that you will take this voter's thoughts into consideration when the time comes to vote on this matter.

-----------------

Actually, come to think of it... I think I'll hop over to my Reps site and see if I can send that.

I do love that site... very easy to navigate and very easy to contact.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am soooooooooo glad to hear someone else is hopping over there to share their thoughts locally. I think if we ALL share our thoughts, that would be best! WHy not write your congressman whether you agree or disagree and state what you feel. Its good for the government to understand we are involved, we are their bosses!

Well, for Hutchison it's not like it's hard.

Google her name, click her site, hit contact me.

Form comes up... name and whatnot (verify the opinion comes from her district and not just a hoax is my guess) email... so they can reply... and then ample space to write what you want... drop down menu of "Topics" to choose from... I went with Ag... and a spot for subject/title so you can specify. Probably makes it easier for them... if this topic is coming up they can sort all the GMO titled comments and read through them. Instead of having to wade through rants on economy, immigration, etc.

Then hit enter... off it goes.

There is also regular mail contact info too of course... but the fastest way for your opinion to get there is electronic.

Didn't take me more than a couple minutes... and that included checking for spelling, grammar, etc. and filling in all blanks.

Definitely worth the couple minutes... if nothing else it reminds them that We Are Watching.

I emailed Rep. Dale Kildee Dem representative for our area
hmm.png
We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom