Millions Against Monsanto Campaign-Updated - FDA bands non-GMO labels

I think he is for the bill, he has some key words in the letter about the consumer needing to know and broader regulation is needed...... but like I said, he is trying to keep his job.

I contact my representative's office so often they say, "HI, what is it this time?"

Remember that you have multiple representatives really. It is quite easy to find them and just as easy for you to create a mailing list on e-mail. And, even the white house has phone lines that are answered by real humans. The calls are tallied by yes, no maybe sort of things so I call and give them a yes no maybe message. Short sweet.

Count me as a voter with serious problems with GMO foods not being labeled.

Next day call again.

Monsanto has control over the Dept of Agriculture and way too many politicians on their payroll. Only large numbers from us will make any dent at all.

Forget Food, Inc. If you want to understand GMOs watch The Future of Food. I once wasn't sure what the fuss was about after all people have been cross breeding plants for centuries, right?? That is NOT what this is and it is so going to mess up our food supplies.

THE FUTURE OF FOOD. Its out there online.

I take exception to the comment..."American's should trust that their food is safe"...uh...trust a politician??? Kinda hard...but we keep re-electing them.

Quote:
I haven't trusted Monsanto since I saw what they did to Percy Schmeiser (in Future of Food, I think), ruining his life because his neighbor spilled their patented seed on his property and it crossed with & RUINED forever his Canola variety he'd been developing for decades! Until then I knew them as the company that sponsored the cool space ride at Disneyland, and the makers of RoundUp (safe enough to use next to your food crops or children... Right
roll.png
).

A bumper sticker about this that says it all is 'Genetic Engineering; giving pollution a life of its own'

Thank you all for communicating with your representatives. Maybe if enough of us do, they will take it to heart. If more people know what those companies & politicians are doing, we can change things with our spending habits.

Last edited:
Well, I am a young scientist and believe that GMO's can be good for our population's food needs (6 billion and counting, third world is starving). However, these things need to undergo rigourous, multi generational testing.

There was a strain of soybeans that had a gene added to confer resistance to a fungus or some such...but the gene was gotten from a brazil nut...needless to say, many many people are allergic to nuts...so they started having trouble with the soybeans.

Since then this soybean has been discontinued from the public realm.

But in the case of Vitamin A enriched rice (Golden Rice), so far there hasn't been a problem. May I remind everyone that CornX's are very abnormal and genetically modified the old fashioned way. The way our collective ancestors have been modifying plants and animals for millenia.

That being said....I am not a big proponent of Monsanto or there business practices.

Many farmers cannot grow soybeans or corn anymore unless they buy from Monsanto because everything is now contaminated with the Monsanto patented genes.
Monsanto has been ruthless and thorough when hounding and suing little farmers.

More over, it is the main reason for the current tidal wave of illegal immigration. The corn with the anti-roundup gene was supposed to be self terminating after 1 or 2 generations...meaning, that if it did accidentally escape a field and cross with another variety of corn that corn would not be fertile or would not sprout. Instead, it has contaminated almost all known varieties of corn.

Corn was developed in Oaxaca Mexico, 6000 years ago. From there it spread north and south to what is now the USA and Peru.
There are several different strains of corn and most still exist in Mexico. The Indians of Mexico had corn for all kinds of purposes: flour, sugar, decoration, sacrifice to the gods, etc.
The corn in the USA comes from only 2 of those original strains. Since corn is a tropical plant it took a long time before Indians of the USA found a strain that could stand the shorter growing season and cooler temps. When Europeans came, they took those 2 strains and hybridized and selected from the progeny to develop all the varieties of corn grown commercially in the USA today.

After all that time of so many people modifying and developing corn...now Monsanto thinks they can patent it? They should be sued and barred from business since they contaminated a major world food supply with something that might potentially wipe out corn forever.

So back to immigration....poor Mexican Indian peasant farmers grew corn mostly for self subsistence and sometimes could make additional money on the excess. But after Clinton passed NAFTA, not only did American corn drive the price of Mexican corn down so low that people scraping buy were forced out of farming, but it allowed companies like Monsanto to forbid those uneducated Mexican Indian farmers from planting Monsanto contaminated corn without a permit bought from Monsanto.

If you do a cursory search on Google, you will find many stories of Mexican immigrants who have been labeled mentally challenged because they don't speak Spanish or English....why? Because they come from small Indian towns where they never had to learn Spanish.

ITs a mess people, and a dirty rotten shame.

Don't let your representative tell you there is no scientific proof that GMOs are harmful. In fact in May 2009, based on scientific evidence in animal studies, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) called for

Physicians to educate their patients, the medical community, and the public to avoid GM foods when possible and provide educational materials concerning GM foods and health risks
.....AND.....
For a moratorium on GM food, implementation of immediate long term independent safety testing, and labeling of GM foods, which is necessary for the health and safety of consumers

And so far, Monsanto hasn't managed to tell or force the AAEM to "put a lid" on it.

When wrting (or responding) to your congressmen, reference articles such as the following to make your point that there is scientific evidence that GMOs are not safe. Here are two, one from the AAEM website, and another well documented article.

AAEM press release on Genetically Modified Foods
http://www.aaemonline.org/gmopost.html

Doctors Warn: Avoid Genetically Modified Food
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/utility/showArticle/?objectID=2989

I also feel anyone owes to themself and their health to read these articles.​

I don't understand what the problem is with GMO grains/foods. I don't understand why so many people are against them and want each piece of food that uses them labeled with...a warning? 'Warning, contains GMO foodstuffs', so they can be sure not to buy them? What's the problem?

Quote:
Please read this in the kindest tone, because I honestly mean it in a kind way....

Did you not read my post right above yours? Try reading the articles I linked to.....they pretty much sum up the objections to GMOs, and are documented.

We just want foods labeled that have GMOs...such as ingredients saying "genetically modified corn" or "genetically modified soy". Most could care less if the word "warning" is included. We're not asking for that. We simply want them required to tell us if anything genetically modified is in the products.

I just posted the letter as asked. Do I think our food supply is safe? HA! No way.

There is some good to GE foods. Cotton seeds are a wonderful source of a nutritious food that can be grown in adverse conditions, unfortunately they are toxic. GE has developed a seed that is not toxic so cotton can be grown in these third world countries as a source of food and clothing.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10612-edible-cotton-breakthrough-may-help-feed-the-world.html

What I really want is Monsanto to go down BIG! A dream I know, but it is possible!!! Keep positive!!

Back
Top Bottom