Millions of chickens fed tainted pet food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Spydrworks, May 2, 2007.

1. Spydrworks

Spydrworks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I live in SE Indiana, the news here reported that MANY chicken farms here in Indiana have fed this tainted feed to thier flocks. THey also went on to say, that these eggs/meat birds have already made it to the market and went on to say that the risk is "minimal" to humans. Hmmmmmmm. I get my feed from a local feed mill....ground here in town. Not sure thre was any contaminates in there...but THIS is why we raise our own chickens for meat and eggs. Its just not safe ANYWHERE any more.

3. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    like my home grown eggs and chickens i will check my feed store about my feed thanks

4. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    Does anyone know what brand of chicken feed is affected? I bought some layer food from the farm supply store - the brand is Dumor.

5. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    And things like this are exactly why I choose to feed my own mixed by hand organic mix. [​IMG] I know what it in it and dont have to worry about things like this happening. I feel most sorry for the chickens who will undoubtedly be slaughtered needlessly over this. [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I use Blue Seal and it's produced up in NH, so I'm safe...everytime I turn around there's more and more of the pet food that's been tainted...just sickening...

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I use blue seal too, its quality food and they have a statement on their website saying their feeds have not been affected.

As for the tainted food, thats just the tip of the iceberg for the American food supply. Everything goes to the cheapest bidder and quality and even safety are thrown out the window. We Americans need to learn a thing or two from countries like France where animals aren't raised in factory farms and quality is of the utmost importance as well as saftey.

Sustainable and organic food from backyarders like us is the answer.... hopefully the rest of the country will catch on soon.

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Pick up just about any loaf of bread in the supermarket, and it has wheat gluten in it. Lots of other prepared foods contain wheat gluten.

I wonder how long before anyone thinks to check our foods for Melamine?

chel

9. Spydrworks

Spydrworks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Quote:Look on the bag. There should be a distribution or manufacturer's address. You can start asking questions there...or google the company name.

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I posted on the other site but will do so here also. Melamine solvent blood poisoning is something I have personal experience with. When the USDA says there is no danger to the public I have to say BS. It stays in the bloodstream and tissues for years after exposure. So I for one do not believe those chickens in question and the pork is in any way safe for consumption. I really think they are sitting back and hoping for the best.

I am so happy we never buy commercial feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by