milo for feed

BRYAN662

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
i am a farmer and raise milo. can i feed it straight to my chickens or do i need to mix it with something else?

Well it's the first ingredient in Dumor chick starter feed, but someone on here said that it's not so good for layers - something about vitamin A? I'm pretty sure you'll want to feed a variety.

Haha....I planted a large plot of organic milo for the girls, they wouldn't touch it.

My suggestion is make sure they like it before you go to the trouble.

Try sunflowers!!! They were crazy for that.
big_smile.png

Milo is on the bottom of the list in quality grains !!! I guess it would be ok to mix it with other grains if they will eat it .
Reason its listed as a first ingredient on some of these feeds is because it's CHEAP !!
Shannon

Last edited:
Milo often gets a bad rap. In some cases chickens chose milo over corn. The real factor that one should consider is the total protein required. A chick that is less than 14 weeks requires 17% protein, milo only has 9% protein so it should be fed with a protein supplment like soybean meal. If you are intrested in making a complete feed for your chickens I would recomend checking the avaliable protein of a feedstuff and the required protein of the age and type of chicken you raise. I have studied feeds at Kansas State Unversity and would be happy to assist in any way I can.

Milo often gets a bad rap. In some cases chickens chose milo over corn. The real factor that one should consider is the total protein required. A chick that is less than 14 weeks requires 17% protein, milo only has 9% protein so it should be fed with a protein supplment like soybean meal. If you are intrested in making a complete feed for your chickens I would recomend checking the avaliable protein of a feedstuff and the required protein of the age and type of chicken you raise. I have studied feeds at Kansas State Unversity and would be happy to assist in any way I can.
Hi there,
ejd2643 shared that you studied feeds at KSU and are willing to help.
Can you (or anyone else) recommend what simple ingredients I should use to complement the protein of Black Soldier Fly Larvae which has a protein content of 42%. I need to provide starter, grower and layer feeds for chickens.
I want to grow the BSFL and purchase bulk grains etc to complement it in an affordable feed system.
Thank you much.
CM1111

Back
Top Bottom