milo for feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BRYAN662, May 4, 2009.

1. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    i am a farmer and raise milo. can i feed it straight to my chickens or do i need to mix it with something else?

2. BRYAN662

Mar 30, 2009
    anyone?

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well it's the first ingredient in Dumor chick starter feed, but someone on here said that it's not so good for layers - something about vitamin A? I'm pretty sure you'll want to feed a variety.

4. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    If I am not mistaken, it is one of the main ingredients in the scratch we get at the feed store here in south texas.

Montyhp

5. BRYAN662

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks

6. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Haha....I planted a large plot of organic milo for the girls, they wouldn't touch it.

My suggestion is make sure they like it before you go to the trouble.

Try sunflowers!!! They were crazy for that. [​IMG]

7. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Milo is on the bottom of the list in quality grains !!! I guess it would be ok to mix it with other grains if they will eat it .
    Reason its listed as a first ingredient on some of these feeds is because it's CHEAP !!
    Shannon

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. ejd2643

ejd2643 New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Milo often gets a bad rap. In some cases chickens chose milo over corn. The real factor that one should consider is the total protein required. A chick that is less than 14 weeks requires 17% protein, milo only has 9% protein so it should be fed with a protein supplment like soybean meal. If you are intrested in making a complete feed for your chickens I would recomend checking the avaliable protein of a feedstuff and the required protein of the age and type of chicken you raise. I have studied feeds at Kansas State Unversity and would be happy to assist in any way I can.

9. BRYAN662

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks i am currently mixing with layer pellets, and scratch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by