Minature Chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by talos321, May 21, 2008.

1. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

My white leghorn that I waited forever to lay anything finally started laying eggs about two weeks ago. I took 5 of her eggs which were very small about half size and out of curiosity I what else incubated them. Four of them ended up fertile.
    Today two of them hatched and these chicks are about half the size of a normal leghorn type chick. They are healthy. My question is whether these will grow up smaller than the parents or will they sprout up to normal size? I'll get some pictures when they are all hatched.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    That is really cool. This is a total guess, but I think that they will grow to be the same size of the adults. Again this is a total guess, but it seems like most preemies of other species catch up after a certain time, and while these are not preemies, they are starting out small.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Wow that's weird. Like banties from a standard. LOL I dunno, but when they're grown, send pix!

4. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I have some 'bantam' guineas that just hatched [​IMG]

Ok, actually I just incubated my new girls first eggs and they turned out fertile, tada! 'bantam' guineas. I am guessing they will be the same size as regulars when they grow up, but we will just have to wait and see.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, they should end up full size as that's programed into the genes. Often they say not to incubate small eggs as it is less material for the chick to come out with, but since you don't have to ship them for a few days and can get food and water to them asap, they should pick up on eating and be just fine.

6. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I was just curious about them which is why I even tried to hatch the smaller eggs. I ran the incubator very dry like 35-40% because I was concerned there wouldn't be enough room and wanted to create large air cells but, the chicks just came out smaller. kinda weird.

[​IMG] They are very cute though.

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by