Mineral oil on eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    My sister-in-law read in a newsletter that she gets that if you rub mineral oil on your egg shells so that they can be stored at room temp., up to 9 months. Anyone do this? I also read that you can keep eggs at room temp with out the oil for up to 2 weeks.
    After doing some searching on past post on BYC I could only find people who put mineral oil on eggs that have been washed.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!
    Jennifer

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    You need to read the thread "keeping eggs" by mklmrphy956. It is about a page back on the index of posts in this section. There is a reply in that brief thread that references an article in Mother Earth News where they did an experiment to see what worked. Eggs keep several months and seem to better without coating them. This article stopped at 7 months.

You can definitely keep them at room temp lots longer than 2 wks; I do it all the time.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Great, thanks so much for getting back to me. I look forward to reading the article.

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
  5. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by