Ming Mei hissing at her medicine?!?! VIDEO

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Nov 6, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Ming Mei has ha a bunch of health issues in her short lifetime... Last spring she got bumblefoot and required surgery to remove the puss, followed by two weeks of bandage changing and pill popping...

Recently, she's having another less scary encounter with the reoccurring bumblefoot. Her sores didn't puss, so no surgery required. I catch it soon enough to where she can get by on antibiotics and bandaging alone.

So our nightly ritual has been including-
    A 1-2 hour bath in the tub
    30 minutes of preening after draining
    A 5-10 minute soak in a small 16qt sized plastic tub filled with warm water, epsom salt, and iodine
    assulting her with a towel to hold her still while I put her pain meds and her antibiotic down her throat with mini syringes
    then holding her down some more while i apply toical medicine to her boo boos
    then place corn cushions around the sores to help her walk, non medicated obviously
    then cover that in a big bandaid, followed by some gauze wrapped with vet wrap bandages to hold the gauze/cushioning down
    then wrap all that in some water proof medical tape, followed by cloth tape to hold it on.
    (tonight was extra hard, we had to pedipaws her nails and bandage her back toe. apparently her back nail broke off)

we've been doing this now for about a week, and she did all this before during the first time she got bumble... she knows the drill. or so you'd think...

today when i went into the bathroom with a stool and the mini tub to give her her soak, she kissed at the stool! I didn't know ducks hissed?!?! i know scovies and geese did, but not regular ducks?!?!

Anyways, i discovered she kept hissing at the iodine bottle and took a video of her. She's normally a fiesty duck to begin with, but ming mei being angry at an iodine bottle for assaulting her is just plain funny...
    here's the video-

After this hissing bout, she went in her mini tub and soaked for 10 minutes while i rubbed the sides of her head. She happily closed her eyes and almost felt asleep standing up enjoying the mini massage from her mom. I wrap her in a rag i turned into a robe her by sewing on some velcro. She stood there with her chested puffed out as if to tell everyone in the bathroom that she was the prettiest duck in the world.
    But if i even picked up the bottle, she immediately began hissing and trying to bite it. Normally she is never like this, but she had some bad blood going on with that dang iodine bottle!!!

2. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    what is bumblefoot?

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    OMG!! Sorry, but that was just so cute, she's beautiful and I hope she gets better quick!

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    That is so funny. [​IMG] I watched your other video on them doing there tricks and I just love it.

My female Cocoa hisses at my female dog. That is the only thing I have ever heard her hiss at.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  5. I used to feel the same way when my mom would get out the hydrogen peroxide for my boo boos! [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww! She dosent like those meds! What a smart duck! But she was a good girl when you petted her..she must love her mom. [​IMG]

7. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Boy, Nettie, I am sorry to hear you are doing battle with that issue again, even though in 'mitigated form'.

But it is GREAT that you caught it in time.'

You probably know this, but I read that Bumble foot seems to be associated with a weak immune system and that, therefore, a bird that gets it will probably get it again.

I'm not sure if its true, but at least it is good to hear and worth thinking about, or whatever.

You stay well, and your little cuties too!

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I've only seen our ducks hiss if they were broody and we went near the nest, and when our drake had been attacked by our guinea cock and we had him inside recovering. Any time we went near his "hospital" room. None of them do it now though. It is funny that she was only doing it for the iodine bottle. LOL

9. Yes, they only hiss when fending off extremely serious dangers like threats to their eggs, guinea cocks, or iodine!! LOL

10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    what a goof ball... i've never heard her hiss before at anything. she's gone broody a couple times, but since we don't have any males, nor do i need anymore baby ducks, she doesn't get to keep her eggs too long. She was fine with everything, even going into the iodine bath, she just didn't like that bottle! lol. i didn't know hey could hiss. the first time she did it when i showed her the bottle, i thought she was choking, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by