mingling recovering chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahb5, Oct 30, 2014.

1. sarahb5

sarahb5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    My 6 month old chicken had a terrible respiratory infection and is finishing up her doxycycline over the next several days. We have had her isolated from her pals and the vet wants us to keep her away from them for another month. I'm concerned that this will be very hard on her. We have several acres for them to roam and we're wondering if we might be able to let her roam with her pals during the day, but keep her out of the run and coop at night. Any thoughts? Her symptoms are gone. The vet is concerned that the other chickens might develop a resistance to the meds making it tough to treat them if they ever become sick with respiratory issues. Any feedback? Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know which respiratory disease she has or which one he suspects? What were all of her symptoms? Most of the diseases make carriers of survivors, and if they were around her before they probably were already exposed. If she has infectious bronchitis they are carriers for 5 months to a year afterward. But the other ones such as MG, coryza, and ILT make them carriers for life. Here is a good link to read about the common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. sarahb5

Oct 19, 2014
    My vet was not able to determine the exact disease since extensive testing would be required. She was exposed (with symptoms) for several weeks with the other chickens. None of the others are showing signs. The symptoms were noisy breathing, wheezing, gaping, chirping and stretching her neck out while making a horrendous screech. That was when I finally found a vet and took her in. We isolated her and began giving her pills twice a day and after the fifth day she was symptom free. My vet wants her to continue on the meds for one more week and then stay isolated for two weeks after. Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean when they are a carrier? That they won't get it? That they'll give it to her again? Thank you for your help.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A carrier is one that can remain infectious to others after recovering. Her symptoms sound like infectious bronchitis or a mild form of MG. Those diseases are in the link in post #2. If she was with them for several weeks while sick, then I do think it would be a problem to put her back in the flock. I would do it slowly by first placing her in the coop and run in a cage or fenced off in her own area. I would have supervised free ranging with the others about an hour before they go inside while you watch to make sure she isn't attacked. It may take some time. If your coop is large enough, you could block off the back with plastic netting, so they can see one another for a few days to a week. The photo below shows how you can use a portable pen inside a larger coop to integrate chickens: [​IMG]

5. sarahb5

Oct 19, 2014
    Thank you. Yes, reading about the infectious bronchitis makes me lean towards this diagnosis. So, I will definitely ease her back to the flock slowly, but are you suggesting that I never add her back? Or just to take it very slow in a few weeks. I make sure they see each other every day (she's quarantined behind a fence and her droppings are completely contained to her area.) I do like the idea of moving her gated pen inside the chicken run for a few hours each day once she's done with her antibiotics. Thank you again...I'm very new to this and I'm very attached to these girls. I really appreciate all the advice from you and this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by