Mini Australian Shepherds?! New photo 8/13 (last page)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MomtoSyd&Emma, Jul 5, 2010.

1. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Anyone familiar with them?

During our cookout yesterday (I stopped counting people at 35) a friend brought her friend (a girl in the Navy) with her, she had her pup with her, freaking out because she has just been sent to another area (after being told she would stay where she is for 4 more years) Well where she is moving she cant take the pup with her. My husband said he would take him (I nearly fell over in the floor as he NEVER agrees to pets that easy)

So we now have a TINY mini aussie. She cant remember the breeders name, but they arent real far from Norfolk Va. He MIGHT weigh 8 to 10 pounds, and is 6 months old. I am calling our Vet tomorrow to get him in for shots and an appt. to be neutered.

He is 95% house trained, not crate trained YET, never been on a leash. He LOVES my girls, tries to play with our other dogs and cats, but they are not in love yet lol

His name WAS Bear, but we are changing that to we THINK Sparky (in honor of the 4th of July)

I cant think of any other male names that are Patriotic. If you all have any ideas, PLEASE share them with us!

Here are some photos of him:
    [​IMG]

Him and our Chihuahua:
    [​IMG]

Him looking at me thinking, PLEASE lady leave me and the bone alone! lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    He was probably just a runt [​IMG] What's his height at the shoulder?

3. MomtoSyd&Emma

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Not sure, MAYBE 12 inches?? In the one photo he is standing next to our "large" Chihuahua (he weighs 8 pounds)

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Being Aussie, you might want to name him FIRECRACKER [​IMG]

5. MomtoSyd&Emma

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Quote:That name crossed my mind trust me! lol

Here are the names I like but its not what "the family" wants lol

Wyatt, Rhett, Stetson, Cowboy, Reese. These are the types of names I like but the girls want to name him Emmett (Twilight) but DH said Sparky ugh lol

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I'd take Sparky over any HUMAN name, I don't care for people names for dogs.

Anyway, breed standard on the small side is 18", and as he's only 6 months old, he'll probably grow more, I'd just say he's a runt [​IMG]

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have heard about mini Aussies before when I was researching getting an Australian Shepard. I didn't really look into the breed, but congrats and have fun with your pup! [​IMG]

8. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I have met a couple breeders when we were looking for one that had 2 or 3 sizes. The regular standard size and then minis and toys.
    The toys were very small and were bred down to be that size. The mini was between the toy and standard in size. I believe the toys had a registration that registered them as toys or minis, but not sure as were were looking at standards. Congrats on the new addition!
    He is very cute!

9. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    he is not a runt..there are minis and toys..many are much calmer then the standard working lines,but some are pretty good little workers also,,they are great for that small agility size,,good dogs,I like them but one aussie at a time is enough for me..

10. MomtoSyd&Emma

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I cant wait to see him in adulthood! Puppies are cute and all, but I am one of those weird people that prefers adult dogs, and cats lol

He really is a pretty calm pup, I am surprised by this.

He knows, sit, shake, and I am working on down with him. And so far so good on recall!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get back into obediance work with him, as I did that with our Dalmatian/Bluetick cross and loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by