1. Jeff in Colorado

Jeff in Colorado Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Carbondale
    Well after plenty of research and an upcoming 10 days alone with the kids, I decided to build a chicken coop. While my wife was away on vacation, I figured it would be a good project to work on to keep the kids occupied instead of the normal x-box and TV routine.

I decided to do something a bit special, a scaled down version of an old barn. I think I may have gotten a bit carried away with the details. Here are some pics of the progress. (if I can figure out how to post pics)

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    [​IMG] oooo wanna see it!

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:

1 person likes this.
  4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    me too [​IMG]

5. Jeff in Colorado

Nov 29, 2009
    Carbondale
    Here is a pic of the plywood structure. The base is framed with 2x2's with 1/2 cdx ply on both sides to provide for a rigid platform. In between I installed some 1 1/2" foam insulation to add a little r-value to the floor. The walls are 3/4" cdx ply, nailed and glued at the connections.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Can't wait for pics!!!! [​IMG]

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Looking good!!!! [​IMG]

8. Jeff in Colorado

Nov 29, 2009
    Carbondale
    Here are some pics of the boys sealing the walls of the coop. The interior we coated with wood stain and sealer. The outside was an exterior black latex paint. Since the siding isn't going to be 100% waterproof, the sealing is a good measure to prevent deterioration in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  9. Jeff in Colorado

Nov 29, 2009
    Carbondale
    This pic posting is almost as difficult as actually building the chicken coop!

Here are pics of my oldest son installing the siding. Of course since we are building a barn, the siding had to be appropriate. I had some leftover barnwood from another project that I ripped in my table saw to be 3/8" thick by 1" wide. My son is pictured nailing on the siding with a brad nailer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Wow! You weren't kidding when you said you wanted it to look like an old barn!! Are you attatching a run to it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by