mini bull terrier or staffy?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chkinut, Jun 26, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    hi guys! i'm researching dog breeds and i'm trying to decide between 2 breeds at the moment......a staffordshire bull terrier and a mini bull terrier. i'm leaning towards a mini bull and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this breed and how they are with chickens? of course i would be getting it as a puppy and i believe most dogs would be good with chickens if they're brought up with them....but i wanted to ask your opinions here first. and it will probably be about 2 or 3 years before i even get this dog.....just planning ahead. thanks! oh, and if anyone has an opinion about a staffy i would appreciate that too. i hope i'm posting this thread in the right place! lol

2. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    As far as being with chickens you are right it depends one how they are raise with them. I just wanted to say though, be sure you do your research into these breeds. I LOVE Bull Terriers and the mini's too, I think they are the most beautiful charming, silly dogs. That said I will never own one. Why? Because I know that our personalities would clash. They are very stubborn dogs, though very smart and can learn a lot I feel it takes a special person to really live with one. They are also clowns and seem to want to make people laugh, the ones I have met remind me a lot of the class clown, goofing off and driving the teachers nuts, just to get a giggle form their classmates.
    Good luck with your search, hopefully you find the perfect dog for you!

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    thanks for the input [​IMG] that's why i'm doing research 2 - 3 years in advance i guess....good points you made! so i will chew on that for awhile while researching other breeds, and who knows, i may just decide to go with the mini bull. we have a boxer now and i love him, but have never really bonded with him. he drives me nuts outside when he jumps around like he's on a pogo stick! it's funny, but aggravating at the same time. i like dogs with character, but i'm also a laid back person ....i was even considering a clumber spaniel at one point, they are suppose to be super laid back. but i don't want one so laid back that they don't even want to go on a walk. maybe an english bulldog would be good, someone on another thread had that idea. time will tell i guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by