Mini dome Incubator HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ButtonQuailBoy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    :hitMy new Crap-u-bator isn't working...It's not heating up...It's at 90 oF For an hour!! I got the eggs today and they need the bator fast...ANY IDEAS?????? HELP MEEE!!!![​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The mini dome bators are notriously bad. [​IMG]

Don't really know what to tell you if you are folowing the instructions exactly...another day of letting the eggs sit probably won't hurt them though while you get the bator issues figured out.

Good luck...

3. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Quote:Place the bator in a box then place enough cover over the top enough to stabilize the heat but not restrict the air flow needed. They don't retain heat very well and this method really helped! I started out with two mini bators and this help tremendously!

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    give up on it and get a 1602 N with/without turner. Those chickabator are heartbreaker for little kids.

5. homeandbarnbasics

homeandbarnbasics Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Tallassee, AL
    I would suggest getting a cheap-o styrofoam cooler and placing the mini-bator in there to help regulate the temp. Keep the lid cracked and poke a few hours hear the bottom of the cooler so you get the thermal airflow effect. this will help with the temp. These are really toys and should not be relied upon as real incubators. While they can be made to work, they fail quite often too. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Tony

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    homeandbarnbasics has given you the quickest and easiest rememdy. Don't panic. Those eggs will be okay in a cool dry place for another day or two.

If you can't get the temps up ask your parents to take you to TSC and see if they have one of the new LG still airs with the solid state thermostat - they run about $42.

7. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    Well i got it up to bout 99.5 degrees...any better? I just put the eggs in...

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You want it to stay right there at 99.5. I was reading that with quail eggs you want it to run a little on the low side and not up at 100. I have 45 quail eggs from Sam going now!

9. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    99.5 is what I run mine at for quail!
    Cant wait to hear how both of your hatches go!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by