Mini Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emsevers, Jan 29, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    My husband was at a local feed store this week and he was asking what kind of ducks they were able to get. They said that they could get mini ducks. I'm not sure if that's exactly what he called them but he compared them to bantam chickens. So my question is, are there many different breeds of these mini ducks and what should I look for? I was wanting a couple of ducks to have in our backyard. I was looking at Muscovy's because they're quiet but now I'm wondering if these mini ducks would be a better choice?

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think these "mini" ducks are Call ducks. And they are called "Calls" for a reason. [​IMG]

I've haven't heard them personally, but I have heard a few people say that they are LOUD.

-Kim

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have call ducks which are a bantam duck. The females are very loud. There are several different kinds of bantam ducks, but calls are the only ones I've ever had.

4. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Oh yes they are loud. I have snowy's and Grey's and the snowy's are VERY noisy. My Grey female is very quiet though. Very fun to have around though.

jeremy

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    If you want small cute rather quiet ducks look at mandarins. They wont have the puppy dog like personality of a scovy though. Mandarins a rather reserved shy and spazzy ducks that will fly off and need a pen that is covered or need to be pinoned.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    There are even SILKIE bantam ducks [​IMG]

7. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Call ducks, East Indie, Australian Spotted and Silver Bantam...........all "mini" or Bantam duck breeds, and remember they are all good fliers.

giffy
    -------------
    GiffsFarm

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:mhmmmm i wonder if you could cross a mandarin with a silkie bantam duck.

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

My call girl is loud when she gets going - but she doesn't go off very often. So it is still MUCH better than having guineas [​IMG]

I will never have guineas again - mean cusses.

meri

10. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Quote:No Way!!! Does anyone have a picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by