Mini flocks in the main flock

Bigegges

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
I have 9 older chickens about a year old in a coop I have 12, 8 week old chicks in the main coop in there own area 6 black sex link and 6 golden laced whyndot. Then I have 16 3-4 week old Easter Eggers and then 8 leghorns. I think I have 2-3 rooster chicks. I have my chickens free range no run and I’m wondering if each rooster will make its own little flock and spread them self’s out during the day or will they stay in 1 big group. 1 leghorn is for sure a rooster and 1 whyndot is for sure a rooster. Easter egger might be one not really sure yet. How many nesting boxes do you think I will need.

The rule on nesting boxes is one per 3-4 hens. I know with my cockerels, I have four, they each have their own girls. Those specific girls look to that rooster for protection and food. But they also function as one big flock. The whole flock sleeps together, for now, and eat together.

I do have the cockerels in together and so far the only one giving my cocks trouble is my bantam. He wants to own all the girls and thinks he can bully the other cocks around. He’s second in command and really try’s to throw what little weight he has around. But I noticed he only mates with the pullets that belong to the lesser cockerels. He won’t try to mate with the pullets that belong to the head cockerel. These pullets also refuse his advances and seek out the big guy for protection.

Really hard to say what will happen here.
Do they all range together now?
How big is the coop...pics?
The coop is about 12ft by 12 ft and about 10 ft tall our yard is 10 acres the 8 week ones are in this cage. with the older hens during the day. and the little ones are still inside but are gunna be put in the cage when we put the 8 week ones with the main ones at night. Next weekend. I plan on adding more nesting boxes when the little ones start laying just don’t wait these to spread there eggs in 8 different boxes
52836D5E-AEDF-4DE1-82B1-8CD963379392.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom