mini horse mare due soon?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by heathersboers, Mar 30, 2011.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I bought a 7 year old mini mare about a month ago. She was starting to bag up then and I was told she was due in July. Well, 2 days ago her belly dropped. She isn't hollow around the hips yet but starting to look like an oompa loompa. Big belly small body. She isn't full of milk either, just bagged up a lil . I doubted she would go till July when I bought her-but the previous owner swears he saw the stallion breed her when she'd be due July. I am used to full sized horses and when their belly drops....look out!!! Is it the same with minis ? Also heard that minis don't carry as long as full size horses? True or false??? Thanks all!!!

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Their bellys should drop the same as a full size horse. Does she have the "V" in her belly, is she full in front of her stifles? That IMO usually gives them a couple of weeks to go.

Just because they "saw" her get bred sometime in August, does not mean she did not get bred and get pregnant before then...... I had a mare that allowed a stallion to mount her a week before she foaled, some of them just like "it"

3. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    The bottom of her belly looks like a basketball is poking out right in the middle. This Will be her third foal. Its Not really v shaped yet. When she walks away you can see her bag between her back legs. She just looks so miserable and her belly is so tight and big for her little Bitty frame. I am thinking about another 6 weeks myself. She had trouble with the first foal but had thesecond one fine; but I'm still worried. She is 30 inches tall and the stud is 33. Ill see if I can get a pic

4. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    They generally carry colts and fillies differently too. My older mare I knew she was carrying a colt, she carried high and tight. My Paint mare, I am sure is carrying a filly, I had a colt from her a couple years ago and she carried High and wide, this year her belly looks like it is almost dragging the ground. My maiden mare had a filly, but with no history I had no clue and my Appaloosa mare, I have no clue either, this is my first foal from her.
    I do know I have rarely had one that did not have a full tight bag and wax before they foaled. I wold find a good vet, if you don;t already have one and keep a close eye on her

5. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i would be watching her!! can you express any milk? if so, what color and texture is it?

i know mine are with in 3-4 days when their milk is like the consitancy of melted candle wax and VERY sticky. color can range anywhere from yellowish, to white. minis dont always wax.

and just in case you didnt know, minis can have issues foaling, so its very important that someone be there just in case!

good luck, and dont forget pics!

6. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    With her bagging up since last month. Does that sound like she's close?? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how long after thy bag up do they typically foal? Her bag is a long ways from being full still but it is noticeable. On our mares in the past they seemed to fill about 2.months to go and almost all of a sudden.i hope she has good luck.I've been there Done that with foaling. This is my first bout with a mini. Thanks yall

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Most of my Full Size mares bag a month to a month and a half before foaling. 30 days is a good rule of thumb, but some can bag longer than that. I would keep a close eye on her bag, and you should be able to see her hips getting looser and notice her tailbone be more prominent. I will try to dig up some pics and post to show you what I am describing. Also, milk ,9 times out of 10 will change to at least an opaque white before they foal. Starts kind of clear, then yellowish, then opaque, then turns milky and thicker.

8. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Well...I know I made this thread a while ago....but now.we are.approximately 3 weeks from when I was told she is due....she is bagging up more now....not tight yet..she is carrying high. Her back is almost bowed
    I am worried as I was told that she could not deliver her first foal...but did deliver the second....he was cute. I have my fingers crossed!!

[​IMG]

The daddy....dunky
    [​IMG]

9. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    She's still getting bigger.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger