Mini incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rainee63, Mar 16, 2017.

1. rainee63

rainee63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    Earlier this week the chicks I'd set in my mini incubator started to hatch. 7 eggs. Not alot of room in there. 2 chicks hatched Sunday and they seemed to really have a hard time in the incubator. Also, they were all over the 5 that hadn't hatched yet. The incubator instructions said to leave the hatchlings in there for 24 hours but between chicks, eggshells, and 5 other nest mates, I was afraid to leave them all that long. 6 eggs pipped. 5 hatched. I ended up taking the chicks out one by one after they'd been hatched around 12 hours. Even so, when I checked on the last 2 that didn't hatch I found one "face down" with the tip of its little beak out. It never made it to zip. Now I'm wondering if the incubator is just too small, if it was ok to take the babies out before 24 hours and what I could do differently next time to prevent that loss. I know I can't be opening up the incubator when they start to hatch. But just watching the first 2 scramble all over the others was worrisome. And thoughts? Thanks! This is my first time hatching.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Keep in mind that when chicks hatch with a broody mother---they are all close and all over shells and all over the other eggs, etc, etc. Never hurts a thing in all my hatches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rainee63

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    I was just wondering if the small space and floppy little wet birds contributed to losing the one chick. It seemed like every time I checked on them a chick was on top of an egg, and I'm probly over-thinking it, but I was afraid they'd end up smothering the little pip-lings before they could get out of their eggs!

4. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada

I had a terrible hatch rate in the brinsea mini also . First two out spun and knocked the other eggs all over the place.... none even pipped... I'm selling it because who wants to start with 4 eggs so they have room ? Someone said it's a good hospital for hatched chicks from a " real incubator "!![​IMG]

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    That's why I posted that pic---with the top on---they can not get much tighter than them. This is just 1 of my 4 trays per hatch and just one of 1000's and 1000's of chicks that I have hatched the same way.

Having used many Styrofoam incubators as well as the cabinets, and having seen and heard many, many eggs rolled all over the place---I am a firm believer that them getting rolled around has no effects on """""MY""""" hatches.

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    That's great river man you've hatched 1000's and 1000's ..... but not in a round , dome shaped incubator right? These are poorly designed no matter how you look at it.

Your set up makes sense , not the brinsea mini...

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    My reply was for rainee63----you posted about the same time as I did---I thought alot of people bragged on the Brinsea??? Sorry you are having bad luck with it. I got a mini that only holds 6 eggs---well 7 if they are not to big----they hatch great----I never open it till the hatch is over----usually day 22----But hatching in the mini was just Playing---its actually homemade but less room then these $30 mini plastic. Sure once and a while a egg or two does not hatch---I do not have a 100% hatch every hatch----BUT to answer your question NO I have never used a Plastic Mini that holds 7 eggs or a Brinsea mini!

Never thought about using one----but Now I am thinking I want one to play with.

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I haven't seen too many not like the Brinsea, be it mini or the 40, eco or advanced.

I am one of those that don't like my unhatched eggs being knocked around. Under a hen, there's not far they can be knocked, in a styro, it's like soccer if you let them. This may only be coincidence, but in the 2 1/2 years that I've been hatching in my table top bator I only ever lost one pipper and that was the only time I had to leave during a hatch and wasn't here when the hatchers rolled it over pip down. Came back and the dang thing was dead. Usually I turn all eggs back up that get knocked and when chicks are that active they go to the brooder. I'm just more comfortable that way rather or not there is danger to the eggs. [​IMG]‍♀️

9. rainee63

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama

I thought about that. Just reducing the amount of eggs I put in. I don't have a huge operation. But I was wanting some opinions first. Thank you!

10. rainee63

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    I do appreciate the pics and your input! I like your set up, it looks alot safer than this mini thing. Looks like you have an awesome success rate!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by