Mini milking cows or milking goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sebrightmom, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I have been wanting to get a pet that will also provide my family with health milk. I have had goats before. I didn't milk them. I just showed them in 4-H. I use to have milking shorthorns that I also showed in 4-H. I have never drank goats milk, but I have heard that it taste different. I know that goats will be a lot cheaper to start out with, plus I heard it was healthier. I just wanted to see what others thought. We have 8 arces. So, we have plenty of room for a couple of goats or cows. I would love all of your thoughts. Thanks

2. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    I have two Nigerian Dwarf does that I milk (or have-one just kidded and the other is bred). The milk tastes milder, maybe smoother than pasteurized cows milk to me. Makes great yogurt. I have never been able to save up enough to try cheese yet. I think goats are easier to take care of than cows, but I have never had cows. The goats have more personality to me.

3. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    Get some Dexter cows. They are great milkers.

4. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I have loved having goats and my cows in the past. We don't need alot of milk each day. DH doesn't like milk, but my son and I love it. I only want to get a couple of either animal. I would love to start making yogurt and cheese. I would love to share the healthy milk with my family.

5. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Nubian goats are the way to go! [​IMG] That's what we have and I looove them. Easy to handle, great personalities and wonderful milk!

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I've been lokking into Kinder Goats...anyone have any experience with these? Apperently they give great milk and are very small...good for meat too...

7. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I have had Nubians before. I loved them. They were so friendly. I am trying to find some of them now. I know my son with love to have some. Most people around me have show goats and want a lot of their goats. I just want a health goat for milk and a pet.

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I raise Nigerian Dwarfs and La Manchas ...I also have a Jersey cow believe me goats are easier and cheaper in the long run as far as milk goes. My cow can produes 4 to 6 gallons a day and goats tend to maybe 1/2 to 1 gallon a day depending on the goat. My LM when she first freshened she was giving 1 gal and has since slowed down to 3/4 gal. So basically it all depends on how much you need and you will need at least 2 goats and they need the company, with a cow some like company and some dont. Good luck with your decision.

9. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I think I have decided on the goats for right now. I really would like cows too down the road, but I really want the milk now. What is the going rate for milking goats? Everyone around me want atleast $150. I was hoping to find them alittle cheaper.

10. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    Here it's $150 for dry doe/yearling and $300+ for a doe in milk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by