Mini Overburgs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlueLagoonRabbitry, Oct 30, 2010.

1. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Anyone ordered these or have pictures of them?

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I have them! I love them. Holderread's are now selling adult pairs. I don't know when (or if) they plan to sell them as day-olds. They sent me a drake and three hens last year and I bred a lot of them this year, so I now have a fairly sizable flock. I will attach pictures below of my original birds when they first arrived. I have really enjoyed them so far. They are beautiful birds and have great personalities. They are so friendly. They remind me a lot personality wise of the Mini Appleyards and Australian Spotteds, which they were developed from. They were still youngsters when they arrived (these pictures are literally from right out of the shipping box). As they have matured, they have become fuller/stouter in appearance, more like the Appleyards/Aussies, not so much the racy stream lined look of the juvenile birds in these pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Thanks For The Pictures, Im Going To be ordering a pair this spring along with a call pair and mini appleyard pair.

4. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    If you want to order them by the pair, you have to get them in the Fall/Winter. They only sell sexed pairs as adults in the cooler months. All they sell in the Spring is day-old ducklings, but they don't offer them as sexed and they have never yet sold the Overbergs as ducklings. If you really, really want a pair, I would order them as soon as you can.

Here are some more pictures. These are not the best because they are through the wire and the birds were already well into eclipse plumage, but it will give you an idea of the adult body type. Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Wow, they're beautiful! What are they? Dusky Harlequin with blue dilution? I've been wondering how that would look on a runner........

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  6. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    They are very nice, & spot on again Senna. I think the colour would look good in just about any breed. I still want some too [​IMG]

7. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    I would definitely love them in Runner form! The Ashton's Runner duck book has a photo of a gorgeous Overberg, but it doesn't say if it is a regular Overberg or an Overberg Runner. It is being held in the picture, so it is hard to tell. Anyway, it is a beautiful color and yes, you are right on. It is harlequin phase dusky plus homozygous blue dilution, so basically Apricot Silver/Snowy. The birds that Dave created he did so from breeding Silver Headed Australian Spotteds to Miniature Appleyards/Silver Bantams.

I have a lot of extra hens in the Overbergs and extra drakes this year in my Silver Bantams, so I am thinking about breeding some together to create some Blue Silvers with the idea then of the following year breeding the Blue Silvers together to get Silvers and Apricot Silvers to outcross back to the original birds.

8. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Hmmm....... maybe I'll make that another project. I just wish I could get my hands on some nice silver (snowy, harlequin........ whatever) runners. Anyone have any???

9. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Do you have better pix of your whole pens setup?

10. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    Yes, actually I do have some pictures of those pens from when we first built them. They were a sort of new style for us as we built them predominately for grow out pens, but made them large enough that we could use them as isolation pens for larger birds if we ever needed to. Anyway, here are a few pictures that show the whole pens. They are each 4' x 8' with the actual cage portion I think being 30" welded wire (may have been 36", can't remember for sure). We have similar pens in several different sizes. Every year, we add more and more raised pens we like them so much.

Here you go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by