Mini Pig seizures...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jdevo, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jdevo

Jdevo New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Murrieta,Ca
    I have a mini pig who is 2 years old...well they said she was a mini when I bought her. She's 75 lbs. She just recently has had 2 episodes of what seems to be a seizure I think? I'm not sure that its a seizure though because she doesn't shake or tremble like most seizures are described as. Instead, her whole body stiffens...her legs go out straight and her hooves curl. (So much that it looks painful) Her tail curls back towards her back and she breathes very fast. It lasts about 2 min. In that time if I try to move her, her body is completely stiff and her eyes are open but she seems totally out of it. She also makes little whimper sounds like she is in pain. Anyone ever heard of something like this? I'm very worried.

2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    That's just a different type of seizure. A quick Google search turns up a lot of hits about pig seizures, most of which seem to be about improper diet.

3. Jdevo

Jdevo New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Murrieta,Ca
    Thank you... I googled and read that seizures are usually cause of dehydration or poor diet. I feed her mini pig food and she has the yard to graze in all day. She def gets plenty of water..she's a drinking machine. So that still leaves me stumped. I'm guessing she is having some sort of seizure then. I just don't know why or how to fix it ??:(

4. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/783347/micro-pig-seizures

Seems like there are a lot of possibilities. They do seem to be sensitive to any sort of subtle vitamin or mineral imbalance. Maybe you can try different brands of mini pig food, different treats. She could be eating something different in the yard on the days she seizes. Just try to be really observant and maybe a pattern will emerge. Or change things up and see if the seizures increase or decrease. I highly recommend keeping a log rather than relying on your memory to recall things that didn't seem important at the time.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by