Mini Potbelly Pig Farrowing ???

themadbackpacker

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Hello everyone!

We're fairly certain that one of our female pigs is going to farrow within the next few weeks. All of the signs are there. We raise just about everything, but this is our first time with pigs!

Currently she's in with 3 others pigs, 1 female and 2 males. They all get along great, no fighting at all. I've read so much on separating the pregnant female out, I wonder if it's completely necessary. Has anyone just left them in together and had a fine birth?

Also, separating her by herself basically isn't possible, so I was thinking of just building a farrowing box in the corner of their 10x10 house. If anyone can shed some light on this topic we would be endlessly grateful!

Thank you all! :)

I agree with the above poster. Baby piglets tend to wiggle around and while the other pigs may not intentionally bother them, there is a good chance they could get smashed by the others.

Separate. Separate. Separate.

I have heard some horror stories from people not separating mama from the rest of the group. Things could happen to the babies or mama could get very aggressive towards her pen pals. It's just the safer root. You would be amazed at the mood swings mother pigs can get into after giving birth. They can become very, very, very territorial and aggressive. It's not very common, but it can happen. Seen it before.

Congrats on the babies by the way, I wish you the best of luck! You should post pictures of the babies when they come
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom