Mini-Rex color? Lots of cute pics! Broken Otter? No but what?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Aug 9, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We have a litter of four, long awaited, Mini-rex kits. I have homes for all of them, but if this is the color I am hoping for she will be staying with me. I want your clear opinions though, so I won't say what I am hoping for unless I hear it from someone else first.

The parents are Dew a Broken Black mini rex; and Jane a Black otter mini rex.
    The kits are Four Broken kits. If anyone thinks I have a color wrong PLEASE let me know! I want to be sure I have the right colors before I fill out their pedigree's! This is our first litter of Mini-Rex, wit My Satin's color is easy (Siamese).
    First the Broken black ( Solid ears, no lines around nose, eyes etc) Think it is a doe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two kits I think are Broken Black otter. Almost positive these two are bucks. (tan inside ears, around eyes and around the mouth and nose)
    The darker one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lighter one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Kit in Question - I thought it was broken black otter, but had noticed it looked lighter then the others. Then today, when I was sexing them I noticed the brown on the nose and mouth of the other two "broken black otter's" But this one has white, then I noticed it's ears where white inside too, not the tan like the broken black otters, nor black like the broken black.
    I am positive it is a doe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know any guesses. Also if you think I have the first three right.

Thanks in advance!
    Melissa

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I think you have all your guess right.
    I wish I had room in my barn to do tort and chin Mini rex.

3. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I don't have a guess at all for the last kit. It can't be broken black otter because it doesn't have the tan inside the ears around the eyes and nose and mouth. I am thinking looking at my bucks pedigree there is a chance it could either be broken blue or broken Opal. Question being is there anything else it could be? What color are the inside of Blue mini rex's ears? I was thinking it would be solid blue, not the white/grey in this ones.

any other possibilities? Other colors in his pedigree are black, black otter, tort, and castor as well as the blue and opal.

Thanks

4. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Black silver martin gives you the white instead of tan, but the color of the black doesn't seem right, too washed out.

5. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    yes it is a lighter color then the black otters, which are lighter colored then the broken black. But it almost has a hint of tan/brown to it. Any suggestions on where to go for advice? Someone who raises mini rex maybe?

6. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    So what I heard from a ARBA judge is that it is a broken black silver martin. I took her word as she is a judge, but upon looking for pictures of other mini-rex that color I found it's not even a recognized color in mini-rex yet. Neither of my rabbits have it in their pedigree, and I wonder if she could of made a mistake. How would I end up with it, with no mention of it else ware? Or is it something to do with the crossing of a black otter and a black? I just don't know. If I don't find anything else out I guess that is what is going on her pedigree anyway.
    Thanks again
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by