Mini Rex/Velveteen lop cross?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Dec 8, 2007.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I have a pair of velveteen lops. They've been bred twice, but neither time the doe took. I'm starting to think the doe might be sterile. I also have a Mini Rex doe-She had a litter this past summer and was a good mama. I have a waiting list for the velveteen lops, but it doesn't look like the velveteen doe is going to have a litter anytime soon. So, I was thinking about breeding the Mini Rex doe and the Velveteen buck. The buck is pretty small (4 LBS) and the Mini Rex is big (6 LBS). The buck comes from a litter of 5 and the Mini Rex had a litter of 6 this past summer, so I don't think they would have a huge litter. The bunnies that wouldn't go to people on the velveteen wait list would be sold at Easter time. I'm just wondering if anyone sees problems in crossing these two breeds? Like I said, the buck is smaller than the doe, and the velveteen doesn't have a crown like other lop breeds, so I don't think the doe would have problems kindling. Opinions please!

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    My first concern was the crown, which you say your lops don't have. Beside the crown, does the lop have a large head. I used to breed mini rexes, and had a blue eyed white dwarf buck that I wanted to cross with my does but another breeder told me it could lead to the death of the doe because while the BEW was much smaller, his head was large. If his head is around the same size or smaller than the doe's I don't seen any problem with the mating. The kits would be really interesting looking. the fur would still be rex-type and the ears would probably be airplane-type, sticking straight out. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by