Mini Sebastopol Geese

learycow

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Southern Maine
minigoose.jpg

Anyone else breed minis?
I am working on mini sebastopols. It's tough, but this girl has prove how rewarding a good selective breeding program can be. Full grown (a year old now) the heaviest she has weighed in at is 7 lbs. I have muscovy hens who are bigger and heavier than she is!

How did you breed down to the minis? Just the runts from each hatch or is this a more rare recessive trait?
These are bred using true mini geese.
Using runts does not genetically work with this breed as I have tried this in the past. They tend to have health issues with this breed, or they produce standard size even though they are runty in size.
So true mini sebastopols are bred using true mini geese.

So far I am 5 generations into my breeding flock of mini sebastopols. They still produce larger than I want as well as smooths. But I am selectively culling for size and feather type where I can. It's a work in progress as a breed so I don't cull too many each season and grow out all that hatch. But this gal in the picture is what I am aiming for! Small in the 7lb range, fully curly and colorful! I have grey, grey saddleback, blue saddleback, lavender, lavender splash, and now buff in my mini flock.

Back
Top Bottom