Mini-sneezes - best course of action?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjthink, Apr 20, 2008.

1. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I am hoping to nip in the bud if at all possible what I'm observing with my roo and hen so it doesn't turn into a crisis. As we know, chicken troubles can escalate fast - best to catch early...........
    I noticed a few days back that Annie was making mini-sneeze sounds, very slight. No other symptoms. I've now heard BJ roo do the same thing and saw a small droplet of clear fluid on his beak that I guess he sneezed out, so it would appear there's a bit of a discharge. These are my only 2 birds, and they are much loved.
    Both are otherwise acting normally - look well, eat fine, poop fine. Feathers, combs and legs all the picture of health.
    Avia Charge in their water. ACV once a month or so - no Avia given that day so that they don't get mixed together. Layer and game bird maintenance both offered 24/7. Fresh water twice daily. Little treats of fresh and usually organic fruits/veggies. Sunflower seeds. They are also free ranging some of each day and gobbling the wondrous plants and bugs of spring.
    I believe it was fall when I wormed them with Ivomec Eprinex - preventative - no known worms - doubt they have a problem there.
    Should I do something about the little sneezes to try to avoid a worse situation? If upper respiratory, what are the best remedies when cause unknown?
    Could they actually both have spring allergies - I don't even know if that's something chickens get and maybe far fetched for them both to be affected, I don't know.
    Weather around here is getting quite nice so they shouldn't in theory be compromised from weather right now.
    Thanks very much for any insights.
    JJ

2. ChickadeeLover

ChickadeeLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Keep a very close eye on them. If they continue sneezing or get worse you may want to start them on an antibiotic (doxycycline terramycin) both these are for respiratory stuff . Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by