Mini Trucks the Modern import version of an El Camino/Brat

oldrooster

One Crazy Nut
11 Years
Feb 19, 2012
monroe county indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I saw recently there are "trucks" being imported from the orient to North America that are a bit bigger than your utility vehicle (like a Jon Deere gator, honda or the equivalent thereof atv (I have heard of them being called UTV) but smaller than a pickup. I was wondering if any here on BYC have them use to have them, or have any experience with the mini truck.

For those who have not any idea what I'm talking about it is a truck like vehicle that if over 25 years old in the US or 15 years old in Canada (and depending on the laws in your state, providence) can be driven on roads or may be used 100% off road in both US/Canada drives on the same side as a postal truck and most are stick shift some come with 4wd or air (or both).

I have no connection to this guy other than I follow his youtube channel but here is a video of a mini truck walk around.
There are other brands and also there are mini minivans that are similar sized and look interesting. I am looking into the possiblity of buying one in the next couple of years.

I have seen similar vehicles offered around here. Like the idea .... But Really need to climb in one and see if there is any leg room.

Oh and the ones I have seen are Right hand Drive not left.

Often times they are two or three cylendar... But I like the idea that you can off load from any side....Perfect for Hay or cargo. And Hay would be what I would need.

deb

I have seen similar vehicles offered around here. Like the idea .... But Really need to climb in one and see if there is any leg room.

Oh and the ones I have seen are Right hand Drive not left.

Often times they are two or three cylendar... But I like the idea that you can off load from any side....Perfect for Hay or cargo. And Hay would be what I would need.

deb
Edited that first post so many time while writing I forgot that I cut that out about the driving like a postal truck, as you mentioned Deb, it looks like a great truck for the small farmer or the city/urban BYCer. that's part of this thread I wondered how many people here had one, and any issues or such. from what I read it can get up to 5omph without having a super charger so in the states that do license it for road use no interstates, and some may have more restrictions. I found a place that sold them when the first came legal here in Indiana for road use, they got out of it for now they said on the phone but may get back into it. The man I spoke with seemed unsure to sell me one if they had any because I think he was worried I'd drive it on the interstate between where he is and where I am! I figure if I did something illegal or stupid it's on me. If I were to drive on it I sure as heck would drive on it when there is no other choice to do it, and preferably in very light traffic like at 3 am.

I see them here occasionally for sale. Back 10 yrs ago or so I'm pretty sure they were not allowed to be road legal, now apparently they are. I think they'd be pretty handy, 4x4 usually and dumps. I've seen snow plows on them. Don't know anyone with one and see none on the road, but I see them for sale. Don't think I'd compare them to a El Camino (muscle car with a box) or a Brat (light duty car with a box). More like a UTV that's road legal. They get great mpg also.
I had a '84 Subaru Brat back many yrs ago, one of my favorite vehicles of all time. That thing went through hell offroading. Lol.
Screenshot_20190320-115119.png

I'd love to have one and would drive it on the road, but we don't have horrible traffic here. Wonder how they'd do on the big hills? Might have to swap a Hayabusa motor into one :lol:

tire size is a limiting factor in the US. Lights and windshield in CA 35 MPH in the City, Fenders, are all required to get license to drive on the street. Golf carts can be legal if they qualify for those criteria.

FWIW.... The wheel base is probably small enough to put on a light Duty Trailer. Be worth it to haul one home on a rental. Also you can hire a flat bed Tow truck to bring it home.... a Big plus if you have Triple A...

deb

Perchie, from what I understand you may have to special order regular road tires made (or at least sold here in the states) 14 inch wheels width and tire height might be the only issues you may have to worry about for ordering, there are some cars made for use here that have 12 and 13 inch wheels. But what I read online (and I didn't read that much but watched lots of youtube videos about it) you can find many many off road tires for them and since they are street legal if you stick with surface streets (I think that's the term you west coast big city folks call 'em) you should be able to drive them where ever if you plate them and insure them. The video I shared the guy's channel I am thinking he hauls them on a regular bumper hitch trailer, not even a goose neck. Some suggest not to use it as a daily drive but I figure depending where you live and how you live may depend on if it is a daily drive or not. If you use an interstate usually or live a long way from town or work it may not work as a daily driver. I live about 10 miles from 1 town and about 12 from another I may not be able to use it on the interstate they put in a mile from my house and it might take a few more minutes to get to and from town, but the gas mileage would compensate for the extra few minutes. I really don't have much use for a pick up, but I would like to use something other than my minivan for some stuff. like if I want straw or hay or want to haul some bedding plants. You know dirty stuff that may not weigh that much or even if I did want to buy 2-300 pounds of feed that would be a perfect way to transport from the store home. But I admit I may not want to use it for a long drive.

we are in off road Central here... You can even get custom rims made.... LOL.
so regs are pretty lax But hub adapters are a good choice. A little tweak to raise the chassis up to clear the wheels and you are off and running.

deb

Back
Top Bottom