Miniature bantam partridge hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dmontgomery, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Henrietta. We have had her a little over 2 years. She came to us as a rescue from a family member. She was getting picked on by their other chickens because she is so tiny. She is about 6-7" tall when she stretches up.
    She loves being a foster mother and has successfully hatched out 3 eggs each spring.
    Last year
    [​IMG]

This year (middle left with daddy)
    [​IMG]

She tries to sit on more but we always take away the extras layed under her. This year she fostered 3 full size Cochin babies who were bigger than her by the time they got to be 5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I read it somewhere or if I just made up the name. Is there such a thing as a "miniature bantam partridge" breed?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She looks like a Black Breasted Red Old English game bantam.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree she's a little game hen. They make wonderful mommas [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree - she is a little doll!!

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    She looks just like our Pixie who is exactly the same - she's discovered the joys of being a mother and now would rather do that than lay eggs. She went broody at just over a year old so we let her hatch some eggs. She was a great Mum but was laying again by the time they were 6 weeks old. She laid for a month before going broody again! So we gave her 6 newly hatched Orpington chicks. She adores them, loved them from the moment she first heard them cheeping. She's an awesome broody because she lets us handle the chicks right from the start. Her babies are 2 weeks old now and don't all fit under her any more but they are all inside by the fire (it's winter where I am) so everyone is warm and toasty. I fear we will be indulging our little broody quite often! Old English Game Bantams are great little chickens.

Here's our Pixie with some of her babies.

[​IMG]

6. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    She is raising some cute little chicks!

7. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    They are utterly adorable (as all chicks are)! I'm totally addicted to having chicks about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by