Miniature Barn Chicken Tractor/Coop All-In-One

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixpantsmaloney, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    This project took 3 months. I wanted to build a scale model of a shed I hope to build and, being new to construction, I thought this would serve as a good learning experience.

So when you see little framed walls, you'll understand the complete overkill for this tiny 2x4 coop. Most of it was made with scrap wood from the lumber yard until I built the outside fenced part. It still ended up costing a small fortune, but I have lots of leftover materials for other projects.

The plus side is it looks really nice. The minus is (as you will soon see), it was too big for the door (I measured height but not width... DUMB) and it weighs 17 metric tons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Had to remove the hinged part of the roof AND cut the truss to make it fit. AUGH!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    Wow, I like it. It is really cute and looks like it would be pretty easy to move with the wheels.

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the shed too;) )

Wow, I just love it![​IMG]

4. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Great Job! How many chickens is that planned for?

5. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I love it!!! That is EXACTLY the coop I want to build/buy!! Adorable and so practical!

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    way cute. your chickens better pony up now!

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    That's so familiar!! Ours looks extremely similar. It looks as heavy as ours too. hahahahha. The next one we built is on wheels.

I love the red barn look. Sooo cute.. the neighbors can hardly complain!

You can see mine on my page...The Corolla -It's freaky -same frame, ramp, hinges, door and everything. We have a window in the front -that's the only difference!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Wow... I really like yours. I wish I'd seen it before I started mine. The window and the vents are excellent. You can see mine is lacking in that area and will need remedied.

The coop was intended for 2 chickens. We're going to squeeze 3 in there now. It's 8 square feet with roosts, plus 16 feet below so I'm hoping everyone has enough room. They're always together anyway.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    LOVE the coop - and so glad I'm not the only one who has built something and THEN figured out I forgot something important - like how I'm going to MOVE the thing where it is going to go, or the fact that I have no way to open up the coop to clean it...

Not like any of that has happened to me... LOL

[​IMG]

That would make an EXCELLENT grow out pen, or breeding coop!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I think you have plenty of room for 3. I wish mine was that big. I even have a broody on 4 eggs now. I guess it's time for an addition. I think we may finish the basement:) on that one to give some more all season coop space. We'll see what's up when it gets colder. It's funny how you think everything is just perfect then...bam!

I can tell you spent lots of time on it too. We city folk need to maintain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by