Miniature Horse Information?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenhatcher89, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I have been thinking about getting a miniature horse lately. I have 3 horses, 2 Arabians and a quarter horse mix, and 10 goats on 5 acres. So, I would have to build another fence to keep them seperate from the regular sized horses, right? And if so what kind of shelter would be best for a miniature horse. Anybody who has them or who has had them any info would be great.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I had minis and full size horses together and never had any problems. However for feeding time, you do want to separate them because the minis can over eat themselves silly. So founder is a very big issues for them. The fence, I use a three strand wire, top, middle and bottom and they never got out of them. Each mini is different too.

3. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    My minis are in the same pasture with my full sized horses. The basic care is the same: worming, farrier, teeth. The main differences are feeding and breeding. The have a lot of issues with foaling. As for feeding, they are indeed prone to overeating and founder. I feed them seperately. My minis have seperate pens they go into at night and that is where they are fed. Each mini has a pen buddy. In the pen they have a three sided shelter.

4. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Thanks guys that helps! Would a miniature horse get along well with my goats?

5. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    I kept my mini stud in the main pasture with the "regular" sized horses. They respected him and his little man attitude. After I sold him off, I moved my mini yearling down there and she fit in just fine.

I kept 3 mini's with goats at different times during the time I owned them and never had any problems. But I guess it would depend on the attitude of the mini and the individual goats. I would be concerned it the goats still had horns, accidents can and do happen.

Good luck when I had my minis I absolutely loved them
    Smiles
    Jul

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My minis are in with my horses, llama, alpaca, emu, geese, mini zebu bull and my fainting goats in a pasture. Oh and a pottbelly pig. They all get along well but I do tie them all up at feeding time so know one over eats or steals. It depends on all the animals attitudes of course.

7. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    In addition to living with the "big horses", my minis live with mini donkeys and Nubian goats. Everybody gets along just fine. (And yes, they live with chickens, geese, and guineas. They like everyone but the guineas who steal their food.)

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Oh......... I forgot Durango, our mini jack..........shooosh, don't tell him I forgot him. [​IMG]

9. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Well it sounds like a miniature horse would be teriffic!! [​IMG]. Now to find one [​IMG]

10. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    My mini is in with a Haflinger mare who she has decided is her mother and also the mammoth donkeys and cattle. No problems.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by