Miniature horses with goats?

animalgirl2010

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
bootheel of missouri
So I was looking in our local classifieds ads site and I found a mini horse pregnant mare. I have always wanted a horse but never really had the space for a full size horse. Now for my question I have about 1 1/2 acres fenced in for my goats I only have 4 goats only one of which has horns. Will a miniature horse be ok with goats or do they totally need a different area? I guess I am just kinda worried about the goats hurting her I dont really know alot about horses in general but will be doing alot of research and checking back here for help before I do anything
big_smile.png
. thanks in advance

My goats and minis do not get along at all... If the mare is pregnant you may not want to chance them butting her. Especially since she will be a strange new animal in their pasture.

It depends on the horse and goats, I would say more on the horse. My goats and minis get along fine, however, I wouldn't put any kid or pg goat in w/ them. They can get playful and don't always know their own strength.

How big are the goats? I would say in general if you give the goats a place they can get away from the horse, and the horse doesn't want to kill the goats then it may work. Size may also play in your favor, if the goats are all full sized and it's a small mini they may all be pretty close to the same size.

If it was me and I wanted to give it a try I would maybe take one of the goats and go meet the horse, if she doesn't show any aggression to it, I'd go for it, but like I said I'd make sure the goats have a place they can go w/out the mini.

Over the Winter my miniature horses were pastured w/ some of the full sized goats. Right now they are all separate, but the doe pen is inside the mini pen! A couple of the does have been jumping out to free range during the day, spending the majority of there time w/ the mini horses (even though they can walk right through the fence), and when I go out at night to put everyone up they are all hanging out together (these are my nigis).

ok thank you both. I talked to the man who owns the horse just to ask him a couple of questions about her. He said she is 30 in. tall and not really tame but he has been working with her and she is becoming more used to humans. My goats are pygmys. Do mini horses need elaborate shelters? I have an area at the front of the the goats pen that is partially fenced and I could finish it and could fix a shelter for her there so she would be easier to catch and handle and also be away from the goats. Do you think that would work?

They really just need something to keep the weather off of them. If she is hard to catch I would definately keep her in a smaller area so you can work w/ her, especially now so she'll be comfortable w/ you by the time she foals.

My mini horses and goats do great together. My mini is a little bit bossy towards the goats but the goats tend to stay out of the way.

My mini horse has a small shelter but tends to stay out when it is raining. She loves the rain and rolling in it.

I love my bratty mini!

I went ahead and fixed the fence today I am going to build her a shelter tommorrow and then I am going to go look at her on sunday
smile.png
. I have a place to get horse feed but I dont think they have hay except for the alfalfa cubes in the bags. Can she eat that untill I get real hay? Do I need to get her a certain kind of hay? Our other feed store isnt open until monday and I think they have bermuda hay.sorry for all the questions I just want to have everything right if I decide to get her

Back
Top Bottom