Miniature Horses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by youdontknow32, Jan 20, 2009.

1. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Alright i am back with more questions...After seeing Nigerian Dwarf goat prices...I am kinda not wanting to get them...I grew up around horses, and would love to have a few now, but there is simply not enough room. Well Matt told me today a guy is giving away some mini's, because he has to many.

So if I got a Mini could I get a goat and keep the goat with the mini, would the mini keep the goat company? Or would I still need another goat?

Also how is it to have one mini? Are they ok alone? I always owed 2 or more horses...so i dont really know how they do alone!

Thanks! Any Advice would be great!

-Nicole

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Both goats and horses are better off with a buddy and goats are famous for being good companions for horses. If you do get a mini I'd sure look around for a goat to keep her company.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have seen mini's and goat cohabitate very well. The only time I saw problems was the mini was a stallion and the goat was getting his head stuck.... and the dwarf goat was getting taken advantage of by the mini stallion!

No harm came, but the goat probably had some mental issues to workout. [​IMG]

-Kim

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    My mini gelding lived with the goats for about 2 months. He decided they were more soccer ball than companion...so he got moved out. He's a playful booger.

He now lives adjacent to the goat pen, away from my other horses only due to our set up (he could easily go under our fence)...and does great.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I would think that a goat and mini should make good pals.

6. youdontknow32

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Yay:D

7. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    OMG I would have never thought! I know i shouldn't be laughing at the poor goats expense.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Be aware that minis, being still basically a variety of horse, are a bit more complex to care for than many other livestock (if you wanna avoid major problems that is). First, there are the behavioral issues, and believe me a mini kicking you or rearing up and striking, or yanking a leadrope out of your hand, hurts almost as much as when a 'real' horse does. So it would be real helpful to either have a good bit of experience handling a variety of horses or to have a GOOD experienced person who will freely come over and help you whenever problems arise.

Second there are health issues -- minis need their feet trimmed every 6 wks or so just like any horse (and not all farriers are willing to do minis). Unless you are a horse person of considerable experience I'd strongly discourage you from trying to trim the feet yourself as you can do permanent damage that way, it's not like just shortening up goat feet or suchlike. Also, you have to be careful how you feed minis -- too much grass is not good for them and can cause laminitis (founder) which can result in permanent problems or worse.

I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a mini, just want to make sure you understand that they are more expense and complication than, like, goats and chickens, and will require a bunch more effort and planning and learning (and probably $) from you than another type of livestock would.

Have fun,

Pat

9. youdontknow32

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Thanks pat, I was around horses for over 20 years. I understand all of that.

-Nicole

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My horse was alone for about 6 months until we were given a goat, they're best buddies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by