Miniature Pigs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Smartie_Pants, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Does anyone on here happen to raise miniature pigs or know a lot about them. I would love to have a few and wanted to see exactly how big they got as full grown adults.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Do you mean potbelly pigs? I only have one, but there are many people in my area that have them. Did you check craigslist?

They can be anywhere from 40-150 pounds at full grown, and that could be their correct weight. There is no such thing as a 'mini potbelly', those are just regular potbellies that have been starved to keep them tiny. This causes a lot of health problems for them, as their internal organs still grow to the normal size, but they are just crammed into a teeny tiny body.

But I have seen many ads on craigslist for them, you could post a want ad and see if you get any responses.

3. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    No, there are "mini" pigs out there. One breed that has been developed is called the Royal Dandie. Here is the link to their website and a couple of pics of babies:

http://www.royaldandie.com/

2 weeks old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a lot more pics in their photogallery, but most of them are copyrighted so I can't copy and paste them here.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    there is really no such thing as a mini pig....or micro pigs..or whatever dumb name they come up with.

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Then how do they get mini pigs, breed them, and produce mini offspring? [​IMG]

6. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Taken from the website:

R.D's are the product of a 23 year breeding program...

R.D.'s average 23 to 39 lbs...

We do not with hold feed... Dandie's are naturally small becuase of their genetic background...

We have combined small, intelligent, social, and affectionate mini pigs to create a consistantly small, extremely healthy pet pig with good conformation and a wonderful personality.​

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Id love to find out more about a true mini pig, my daughter would love one. [​IMG]

8. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    The biggest drawback is if you by direct from the breeders, they are like an average of 3000 dollars! That's why I was asking if anyone out there had gotten them from somewhere else.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] I think she wont be getting one anytime soon. Maybe someone on here will know about them and maybe raise them. [​IMG]

10. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:That's exactly what I did when I saw the price. Plus, that particular breeder says you can only feed them the food they sell, which is about 18 dollars for 7.5 pounds! (supposed to last 1 month
    [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by