1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miniature pond contest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeeThomas, Apr 4, 2009.

1. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Please correct me if I am wrong but do we have a contest for the best mini pond plans? I am interesting in making one for my [4] ducks that I am hatching, any CHEAP suggestions or ideas?. What material should I use. I would like to put gold fish in there for them to snack on.....Input is appreciated!

2. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    They might get a little soggy and won't taste the best, flavor blasted or original?

Ohhh, live ones not the real snacks...
    Should work

Nope, no contest

I can't really input on what material, since haven't built ma' Koi pond.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    LOL, yeah I would want them real. Thanks for the input though.[​IMG]

4. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    The Henrik method:

- Grab a spade
    - Dig real deep

Eventually, you will hit water or rock. Hopefully it's the former.

This one cost you zero dollars. It's a real good workout too.

5. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Is that serious....Because that does not sound bad maybe I can grow on that idea a bit.

6. Henrik Petersson

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Quote:I'm half serious. It's true that you will hit water when you dig deep enough, at least in some places. It's probably not feasible to do it with a spade though.

But if you can rent a guy to do it for you with an excavator for a reasonable price, it might actually work. A neighbour of mine recently dug up a huge hole for a well. They had to use an excavator, and explosives to get rid of bedrock, but once they had gotten down some ten feet, water flowed in naturally.

But i really advise you to find out what the earth and water level is like underneath your property before doing this. [​IMG]

7. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    He's kidding - I think. That'd be an incredibly deep hole in most areas!
    Get on Craigs List, people seem to sell the plastic pond liners a lot. You can get them very deep and large. You absolutely need to spend money on a good filter if your pond is man made - especially if you want goldfish to thrive in it.

Or by a non toxic rubber roof liner - that way you can have a huge, deep pond. - still need a really, really good filter though.

If you are not interested in looks, you can sink an extra large, plastic baby pool and therefore be able to clean it once a month (depending on the amount of fowl fowling the water!) But then you can't have goldfish.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    By far the easiest thing for sanitation is an aboveground container, like a kiddie pool or whatever, because remember you are going to have to be dumping or draining the water out of this thing on a FREQUENT (potentially daily) basis. Ducks are FILTHY.

"Dig hole with shovel" only works if you are on make-bricks-with-it clay, or have an essentially infinite free source of water to add... and becomes nearly impossible to keep clean with ducks. I dont' have ducks myself but have been around them, and have worked with small ponds and pond containers a *lot* professionally, and really, I have to say, go with the kiddie pool or equivalent (!).

Good lluck, have fun,

Pat

9. Henrik Petersson

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Listen to Pat and Roosteroops; I was just brainstorming! [​IMG]

10. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Yea im talking small like pong lining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by