Miniature PotBellied Pigs...Anyone???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mrsgibber, May 18, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Who has em', who enjoys em', what's it like owning em'????

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Oh My!!! We have Madison. She is my baby, I love her to death! She is absolutely wonderful to have around. She is extremely smart and very clean. Maddie gets along with all 3 of our dogs and is interested in every animal that she sees. Piggies are more like people than you'd think. If Maddie gets in trouble for something she will pout. She talks all the time, and wags her tail whenever she hears us talk to her. Maddie is an indoor pig, and was just about completely potty trained when we got her. I still had to teach her that outside was definitely where she has to potty, but it was easy. You need to have patience with a pig, but I will always have one. We got Maddie from a breeder in Hawaii, who specifically breeds the Leavitt potbellied pig bloodline. Maddie is only about 25 pounds at a little over a year old. Not all Mini potbellied pigs will stay so mini. A lot of the pot bellied lines are also mixed with feeder pigs, which creates the big 200 pound pot bellies. I know that a lot of people are breeding for smaller pigs, but you have to be careful with that - If you'd get one, go through a reputable breeder. Do your research first - piggies aren't for everybody [​IMG]

Here's Maddie playing in the dirt on a hot day. Typically she doesn't do this [​IMG]:
    [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I have 2..and i'm getting a third this week. Love 'em!! [​IMG] But as belgian stated..they are not for everybody...research..research...research... and join piginfoandchat and piggymisfits. both are yahoo groups..and are awesome for giving advice and help!

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So are these not the same as the "teacup" pig???

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I believe the teacup is a potbelly..but its just been bred down generations for smaller size. I think anyways.. [​IMG]

6. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Awwww....soooo cute! I know I'd love having one. I think I'd be keeping outdoors though. What are your thoughts on that? We already have a dog and two (soon to be three) indoor cats.

I will definitely be reading up thoroughly before making my decision. It took me nine months before I got my chickens. [​IMG]

7. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I had one and they are a delight.

8. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Teacup pigs?!?! [​IMG] Aww...I would love one!

9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:I did'nt know you're getting a third. let me have your address I want to send some thing for the new pig [​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I did'nt know you're getting a third. let me have your address I want to send some thing for the new pig [​IMG]

NOoooo..you stay away from my piggy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by